Wheel dilemma of the day...

Quinten

So I finally, finally, managed to find a full set of Westfield wheels and collected them yesterday.  They fit my awkward hub sizes perfectly, but then I discovered that my current wheel studs are 1-2mm too long and won't allow the covering plate to be tight on

$_57.JPG

I've already got 10mm spacers fitted (on all wheels), and especially the rears are disappearing in the arches so could do with a slightly bigger spacer

Would you

1) Replace studs with smaller ones

2) Add a 1-2mm spacer to the existing spacers

3) Replace the 10mm spacers with 11-12mm spacers

4) Grind 1-2mm off the existing studs

5) other...

For me personally, option 4 or option 2 (or option 3) is easiest, but not sure if I am doing something stupidly dangerous? Option 1 is certainly the best option, but if my experience of my axles/hubs is anything to go by, I'm dreading the job to remove/replace them.

Option 3 would be my first choice, then option 2…I don't suggest option 4..

Just my thoughts, but others will advise... :t-up:

• Like 1

They look like Team Dynamics Qualifiers? Obsolete, rocking horse manure and really suit the car - so you gotta make them fit!

• Like 1

$_57.JPG

Not sure if they are genuine or not (ashamedly admit that I'm not really a wheel buff, but I do like these), but if they are, then I may have well got a billy bargain ;)

Yep definitely Qualifiers. Stopped making 'em 11 or 12 years ago. Were Westfield standard wheels c. 2000

• Like 1

You are much better than Eastenders or Corrie Quinten :d

• Like 2

I've got a slightly marked set of those in black, as my build wheels. Might have to get them refurbed if I know they're in demand!  :d 

• Like 1

You are much better than Eastenders or Corrie Quinten :d

What are they? ;) I'm not allowed to watch TV until I've got rid of all the spare wheels (and other parts!) I've accumulated so far  :cry:

That is what I had on my car - sold them in the Winter! 

I'd be grinding 2mm of your current wheel bolts.  Surely the strength of grip between the bolts and the wheel hub is held in the surfaces of the screw thread?????

• Like 1

Grind 'em down.   2mm. is nothing to be worried about, as long as the wheel nuts go fully on to the studs.    File around the stud ends to give is smooth taper else the nuts are pain to start off by hand when re-fitting.

• Like 1

If grinding off, best to pop an open nut on before hand, taking it off after you have finished as it helps clean the thread for you.

• Like 1

I have the same rims but the opposite problem in that I can't put my spacers on until I get longer studs. Grinding 2mm off your studs will do no harm, just do as Pete said and put a nut on first to aid cleaning of the threads on its way off.

• Like 1