S2000 First Oil Change, what could possibly go wrong...?

CraigHew

Always planned to change the oil in Spring before the fine-weather driving season began.

I didn't mind so much having to jack the front end up a little so my brand new, all-singing and dancing oil-catch tray would fit under the sump (it was half inch too high....!)

I didn't mind so much having to loosen the exhaust manifold to get the new K&N oil filter started on the threads correctly (it was less than a quarter of an inch too close....!)

What really chuffed me off was the simple task of replacing the engine oil cap. As it approached finger-tightness it decided to shear off...................GRRRRRRR...

IMG_20150303_154414_edit_zpshmfiaftz.jpg

.....leaving the threads screwed into the engine and the cap in my hand.

At least the threaded bit came out easily (it was nicely oiled)....

So onto t'interweb and now £25.00 lighter......

oil%20cover_zpsi2fzeg6t.jpg

I'm sure wifey thinks I broke it on purpose................

Always planned to change the oil in Spring before the fine-weather driving season began.

I didn't mind so much having to jack the front end up a little so my brand new, all-singing and dancing oil-catch tray would fit under the sump (it was half inch too high....!)

I didn't mind so much having to loosen the exhaust manifold to get the new K&N oil filter started on the threads correctly (it was less than a quarter of an inch too close....!)

What really chuffed me off was the simple task of replacing the engine oil cap. As it approached finger-tightness it decided to shear off...................GRRRRRRR...

IMG_20150303_154414_edit_zpshmfiaftz.jpg

.....leaving the threads screwed into the engine and the cap in my hand.

At least the threaded bit came out easily (it was nicely oiled)....

So onto t'interweb and now £25.00 lighter......

oil%20cover_zpsi2fzeg6t.jpg

I'm sure wifey thinks I broke it on purpose................

I think you broke it on purpose, we all do! but don't worry, you're amongst friends here, it's safe to admit you just wanted a blingy cap!

Hmm, I'll have to wait and see about the filter myself, must admit, it went on with the engine out of the car, I've never checked to see if it would come off again!

Personally, I've got my eye on one of these, hard anodised, billet aluminium jobs, but it'll have to wait till the car has stopped haemorrhaging money!

626-99-0071_1.jpg

Any excuse to bling up your motors and wear your underpants on the outside..

Bob :d

Maybe some 1" thick planks under the front wheels might just save jacking up in the future

Just drive or push on

Won't help the filler cap from your super powers though

Nice idea Andy.  Thought you was calling me a thick plank at first.... ;) .

Seems to be a design flaw so I guess all guerillas are excused  :d  http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/252267-oil-cap-self-destruction-has-anyone-seen-this/#entry4745973

Never quite sure about plastic parts on engines ever since Ford used laminated "Bakelite" cam gears on the old V4/V6's  :cry:

Yeah, I saw a few snapped oil cap pictures while I was searching for the Skunk2 picture, who knew!

Get the standard Ford job 

Just ask for part no. 710  from any Ford dealership  :t-up:

• Like 2

I think you broke it on purpose, we all do! but don't worry, you're amongst friends here, it's safe to admit you just wanted a blingy cap!

Hmm, I'll have to wait and see about the filter myself, must admit, it went on with the engine out of the car, I've never checked to see if it would come off again!

Personally, I've got my eye on one of these, hard anodised, billet aluminium jobs, but it'll have to wait till the car has stopped haemorrhaging money!

626-99-0071_1.jpg

Oh no!!  not the Black Series. :suspect: