IVA ideosyncrasies

DanDud

Luckily I don't have to go through IVA but what i find strange is that whilst you can fail for having something stick out from the dash a little bit too much or a radius is too tight on something, you've got a flippin great stinking hot exhaust stuck out the side of the car...

We should consider ourselves lucky, the early draft propsals for IVA included for the enclosing/protection of exhaust systems. It was only after lobbying by manufacturers was it removed from the draft document.

As long as you can't cut yourself on the for mentioned hot exhaust then it's fine. :)

• Like 1

Yep just get 3rd degree burns. My last car fail sva on radius with this can

987CB845-0DC3-43AA-9982-3365326DD65A_zps

Sorry a about the quality, I put this on with razor sharp edges & it passed.

C9EACE06-3EE9-49EA-81DC-C346FAFFB27C_zps

It does make you wonder.

This is health and safety at its best.  But the elephant in the room isn't heat or sharp edges  - at 30+ mph everything is lethal

The application of the rules may be pretty rigid the interpretation of some rules may also be subject to local or departmental advice. So a few variables, every examiner will have a slightly different take on the requirements with the majority of issues being absolutely clear. Some of them try to help and if you are an enthusiast with a decent standard of build they are generally very helpful. To write a rule book which covers every detail is difficult but not impossible and would result in a manual which would need a barrister to decipher. I suspect the examiners are allowed some leeway as build quality must affect the result. If an examiner sees a basic shed presented he may need an escape clause, however from the majority of results on this site they are reasonable in there approach and we tend to be a little over reactive when we haven't read and understood the rule book also its basically a competence test and we don't like those. A radius is a radius when all said and done, if the examiner has disregarded a minor in light of a good build we should be applauding sound judgement. In my case they rejected a carbon mods dash with a large radius on the bottom edge, it wasn't the required amount 19mm I think and they were correct, a simple application of some stick on foam sorted it. All minor stuff but necessary to maintain a good standard of car production. I am mystified by a few of the rules regarding sharp edges and the locations of those but in reality its quite simple, read the manual and other posts about general issues but also consider specific issues which various VOSA stations may have raised just in case. I also found the VOSA technical advice chap to be very helpful especially regarding the need to have CE marked harnesses with no mention of FIA acceptable items, an old chestnut but at the time could have been a fail as the rule book did not list that FIA exceeded CE.

Its an expensive test of our ability to build a car and a necessary one, we have all seen the results of the not quite competent amateur and the danger that could cause to themselves and others.

Bob :d

• Like 1

I asked the radius to bits of chassis/suspension etc question once, of a very experienced SVA/IVA inspector who was aso a real petrolhead. (He'd owned several kitcars, including a Westfield over the years).

He did pull a bit of a face, but his reply, (and it's many years since now, so I'm paraphrasing) was that, having the radii could be the difference between a really bad accident with multiple broken bones and having your legs ripped open and bleeding out by the side of the road.