o/t BMW Instrument cluster message EEP_1

Man On The Clapham Omnibus

May be worth putting the car on a trickle charger when layed up to save the battery going flat and repeating the problem.

Good idea, Ian. I have a Halford's 'automatic' charger but I don't trust it to have very sophisticated controls.

You need an optimate or ctek type charger, just plug in and forget. Used them on all my bikes and cars Over the years and never a problem with a flat of knackered battery.

• 1 year later...

Thread revival time. This problem cropped up again and I bought a replacement cluster from Ebay. It was only the coding plug that was needed I found, but the one I got with the second hand cluster has about 80k too many miles on it. Is there anyone on here, does anyone know somewhere that can 'correct' the mileage on all of the memories and delete the tamper dot as well? I'm near High Wycombe but I'll drive a reasonable distance if need be.

Thanks Chaps!

• 2 weeks later...

Until I read your last post I was going to say "BMWs do lots of strange things when their battery juice gets really low.  My 520d stands on the drive  most days and sometimes doesn't move for a week or two at a time. In the last 6 months I've had messages saying that the battery is extremely low on charge.  I've also noticed that the car's brain has decoded to cut many potential sources that may drain that final bit of battery power that's left in the interests of still being able to crank the car.  ie all the stored trip/time/radio presets etc.  My audio was muted after one such occurance and only a fuse pull for 30 seconds or more resolved the problem (thanks bimmer forum)."

So I think your eprom prob has been caused by the battery going extremely low, but then again I think you've sussed this out.

As for getting the mileage changed on a replacement device, probably only a main dealer job with the correct BMW system will be able to do it, or a very good indy garage.  I just think you're going to struggle to get this done as there is a stack of procedure lined up to prevent such things (clocking) being easy.

Clearly it's not impossible, especially when your recent mot can prove mileage etc but I can't see it being a simple DIY job.

That, as I have found out, is the downside to owning a Beemer

+1 for the trickle charger

CraigHew, not the only downside! Actually though, the only problem I've had that hasn't been down to very low usage was the fuel pump from tank to engine went very noisy. Otherwise I love it - even though it has a bl**dy fly-by-wire throttle that makes manoeuvring very difficult. Oh, and a notchy gearchange... Still love it though! :d

Thanks for the input; I might just live with it and rely on meticulous records when I come to sell together with the old coding plug and a dated receipt. The main dealers will only program a brand new uncoded plug. Ebay specials they won't touch. Backstreet clockers will but at a cost of two to three hundred pounds I have found. I don't trust them not to introduce more problems than they solve.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The only remaining problem is the tamper dot. The mileage is correct and the instruments all work correctly, but as discussed above, getting rid of the damned dot seems nearly impossible without disproportionate expense. I shall rely on MoT records and physical evidence to support my recorded mileage and not worry too much.