New Camera for Car

Terryathome

My thought was that at a pinch you could pre program it to follow a short stretch of road, starting and ending with prolonged hovers with the cameras aimed at key spots. You then track it with the car, rather than trying to track the car. (This is assuming it's just one person on their own). As Terry said, more for artistic "extra" footage to edit into fixed camera shots than an entire sequence.

I do have that facility with the drone to fly it on a programmed predetermined path at different heights (sorry altitudes) and speeds. Why didn't I think of that Doh

Cheers Dave

All I have to do now is wait till April/May, tax the Westy and bobs your uncle.

It would be awesome on track but common sense says no to that one, don't want some silly b******* crashing into me drone lol

Terry

Looking forward to seeing it with interest Terry!

I'm amazed at the stability achieved - very impressive quality -  I was half  expecting a light blue Ford Anglia to fly past!

Who was that lady in the bath shaking her fist at you???

You're going to have trouble with a drone following you, some trackday organisers have already banned them.   You'll be ok out on a quite country road, so far.     I can see in the future, if Amazon have their way to deliver parcels, all the kids with drones will be attacking them for some free stuff.

We used a 6 rotor job at work once to do some high level damage checks and the results were spectacular and very clear, the ability to get very high quality closeups without risking people was very good. The downside is the danger from an out of control drone but in the right hands fully recommended.

Bob :d

At 3 outdoor car events I attended last year a  member of the public has appeared with one.

In each case I thought pretty dangerous and annoying /  inconsiderate.  The noise alone was pretty iritating.

In one case (Prescott) they were very quickly told over the PA to stop it.

I can see the appeal for getting aerial photos but unfortunately they could become a real menace / danger.

Personally I don't think they should be used anywhere near other people.

I'm with this 

having been buzzed by one personally I think they are a ruddy nuicance and should be banned from public places completely on noise grounds alone to say nothing of interfering with personal liberty 

Do you mind me asking which drone this is Terry - is it an expensive piece of kit? ..and it just a go pro mounted?

Nice little vid, all sorts of exciting possibilities.

Do you mind me asking which drone this is Terry - is it an expensive piece of kit?

..and it just a go pro mounted?

It gives the make at the start of the clip, but broadly, yes, but there may be offers? And I don't know about Terry's but they come with a special high quality gimbal mount camera. But if you get them without the camera, they are much less. You can then fit a GoPro.

Looking at the sites for them, it looks very like the one a friend uses. He has the dedicated camera. The base price was arounf £900 - £1000, but by the time all the extra bits were added it was nearer to £1400.

Camera less, they are substantially less, and as I say, there may be deals to be had?

Use of these have already raised it's head with the MSA due to being flown by an idiot during a meeting. So expect restrictions on flying them to be imposed at events. Which as an organiser I fully understand.

But as a someone who likes the technology it is a real shame. The usual small brainless / thoughtless minority who spoils it for the majority.  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Yes the spec I have is the DJI Phantom Vision Plus but the latest V3 with upgraded motors and software. I didn't pay what Dave is quoting, some deals out there just need to find them.

Anyway the bad news first, I crashed it. The good news, dusted it of and flew it again. Pretty robust Eh?

I have a mug volunteer who is brave enough to either drive his car or the drone to get the video but might take a week or 4 before ready. Will post ASAP.

Happy flying everybody.

EDIT:

I wonder if my volunteer will still be up for it after my latest video?

Terry