Q or not to Q?

Kingster

I personally only think an age related plate add value if it's very recent 09 ish and if a few years that extra value will vanish

A Q plate only devalues the car to those less familiar with kit cars

Nobody can tell how old a 'Q' plate car is.

You can't tell how old a car is with a dateless private plate either :)

Q plates aren't as good as they were are they? Doesn't it now all go on the engine's age and is all worked out and documented during the IVA?

I thought I had read this too, if the iva tester puts an emissions target on the paperwork this will then be on the registration, so when the mot tester enters the reg into the computer the emissions target will display?

I thought I had read this too, if the iva tester puts an emissions target on the paperwork this will then be on the registration, so when the mot tester enters the reg into the computer the emissions target will display?

Not sure - hence my question I suppose. But as I have a pre-cat engine going in for the IVA, at least my emissions will be more favourable if this is the case!

I would use your donor age tbh, as on a E reg your emissions need to be under 3.5% Co so you will have no worries come mot time anyway, and you will have the choice of a private plate, or your buyer will when you sell. :)

I would use your donor age tbh, as on a E reg your emissions need to be under 3.5% Co so you will have no worries come mot time anyway, and you will have the choice of a private plate, or your buyer will when you sell. :)

But don't the emissions go on engine age (Nov '93 for mine)?

Looking at the latest MOT info on the motinfo.gov website the 'Q' plate might no longer get the Visible Smoke 'pass' - if you have a recent IVA it will have the emissions added to the Database and that is the first port of call for the tester. If they have no info on the database, then you can use the Q = visible smoke rule:

Vehicle ‘first used’ Dates - Application of Test Criteria

NT’s will normally be provided with the vehicle details as part of the Vehicle Specific Information supplied by the MOT database.

This will usually include the vehicle’s ‘first used’ date. Where this information is available, the NT should only use Reasons foRejection applicable to the vehicle’s age.

However, in cases where this information is not available or incorrect, the NT should determine the vehicle’s ‘first used’ date as follows:

[snip]

Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows:  For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before1 August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on1 January 1971,

Or get lucky like me and get "smoke only" on the v5 even though I have an age related plate  :blues:

Don't underestimate the hassle of getting an age-related plate if you are building from parts you have sourced rather than a kit of parts from Westfield. Every part must be new except one large item eg engine is allowed to be reconditioned. So new sierra diff  :d  :d  :d

OK, there are ways round it, but your paperwork has to be spot on.

Don't underestimate the hassle of getting an age-related plate if you are building from parts you have sourced rather than a kit of parts from Westfield. Every part must be new except one large item eg engine is allowed to be reconditioned. So new sierra diff  :d  :d  :d

OK, there are ways round it, but your paperwork has to be spot on.

Isn't that a new reg Nick, rather than older age-related?

I understood that age related (ie where I have a donor Sierra from '88) requires only a couple of parts - such as gearbox and drivetrain to qualify for an 'E' Reg.

I can do that, but have no chance of getting a '15' reg.

Either way - I'm still leaning towards a 'Q' - quite like it TBH :)

Isn't that a new reg Nick, rather than older age-related?

I understood that age related (ie where I have a donor Sierra from '88) requires only a couple of parts - such as gearbox and drivetrain to qualify for an 'E' Reg.

I can do that, but have no chance of getting a '15' reg.

Either way - I'm still leaning towards a 'Q' - quite like it TBH :)

Sorry, should have made it clearer, Yes that's a new reg, not an age related one which you can get with an SDV car.