Modifications that invalidate youe insurance

DerekJ

But how would you know if a previous owner added the lighter? Most people know if their car is petrol or diesel, how would they know that a Corsa SRi doesnt have two cigarette lighters as standard and it was an optional extra? Is there a company you can take your used car to once you have bought it and they will tell you all the modifications that have been made since it came from the factory? Is this something that people do when they buy a used car? No... So it's not realistic to deny a claim because of this sort of thing... 

Slot in a new engine and some spangly alloy wheels and yes, you should tell them....

Exactly.  The whole thing is just ridiculous and gives the insurer so many opportunities to refuse a claim.  :-(

"Most people know if their car is petrol or diesel”  My wife isn’t one of them, sadly.

R

Exactly.  The whole thing is just ridiculous and gives the insurer so many opportunities to refuse a claim.  :-(

"Most people know if their car is petrol or diesel”  My wife isn’t one of them, sadly.

R

But surely if it's so ridiculous, it wouldn't stand up in court. I'd be threatening to take the insurance company to court!

I had a laugh when I renewed my insurance with A-Plan and the chap went into "auto" mode and asked if the car was modified !!  :d ... I said errrrrrr, it's a kit car built from parts and continually improved over the last 10 years - we both had a chuckle and my premium was £3 less