Modifications that invalidate youe insurance

DerekJ

What constitutes a modification???

See here...

CLICKY

Ageas are idiots. Hope they enjoy looking foolish in the news. No doubt they are too busy declining claims for using a different make & model of tyre though or adding an air freshener.

• Like 1

LOL, maybe they think she's insured twice...one with them and one with a more 'all mighty' insurer! ;-p

I was told by one insurance that anything different from the model spec is a mod including manufacturer options. Backed up by my dad having to declare the privacy pack or whatever it is that have him tinted rear windows and different wheels on his focus. It didn't make a difference to his premium just has to declare it

Yup, even on a regular tin top, many changes don't actually affect you financially, but they have to know.

Dont forget it's not just theft you're covering against, but things like vandalism too. Stick a VERY large religious statement down the side of your car, and in many areas of the country, sadly, you're asking for it to be keyed or get a swift kick in the door.

Interestingly with the pickup, the brokers specifically asked if it had any sort of graphics, (with or without writing), Logo or lettering of any sort on it. Not thinking, (and not trying to be clever) I said no there was no company artwork on it. And they immediately repeated the question, is there any non standard... Regardless of company or not. So I apologise and said no, I'd even had the hot air gun out and taken the Evans Halshaw badges off!

Some people are idiots, but perhaps there is more to this than we are being told. Perhaps she is insured on a private policy but this deems it to be business use, as which ever way you look at it, religion is big business. They may well be able to show that vehicles carrying advertisements, or messages are more likely to be involved in an incident and let us be frank, as a Christian message board, the vehicle probably is more likely to be damaged by those who worship other sky jockeies as well as drunks.

Interestingly with the pickup, the brokers specifically asked if it had any sort of graphics, (with or without writing), Logo or lettering of any sort on it. Not thinking, (and not trying to be clever) I said no there was no company artwork on it. And they immediately repeated the question, is there any non standard... Regardless of company or not. So I apologise and said no, I'd even had the hot air gun out and taken the Evans Halshaw badges off!

As soon as i saw the article it was the graphics that drew my attention as being declarable mod. The fact it's a religious is largely irrelevant in this case but the modification from standard needed to be declared in much the same way as the boy racer graphics on a chav'd saxo or sign writing on a company vehicle.

When I got my new car and spoke to the insurance I listed the options, when I got the renewal very few were actually listed. When I went on the website (Admiral multi-car) to look at insurance premiums, I found a section that listed various modifications. I then carefully went through each car on the policy selecting the appropriate options and looking at the effect, some made no difference, some made a positive difference and some a negative. I hope if push comes to shove we would not get into arguments if anything happens, as everything is not listed because there is no where to list it.  

Only if you removed it with a hammer Benie !

Sorry Bernie

Who is benie ?

I've just added them to my "avoid list" (though tbh, it's not exactly a little car sticker in the window - but where are the demarcations should you have a few stickers on the outside of your car or even just one from the seller?)

https://www.ageas.co.uk/about-ageas/our-business-and-strategy/

My son's girl won a Fiat 500, and it's vinyl wrapped as an advert for the pet food company that gave it away.  As its a bit fiddly to get the vinyl off, she's had to pay a bit extra, and I can understand that the insurance want more money to cover the cost of replacing the vinyl, even though she wouldn't.  Personally, in the event of an accident, I'd keep the vinyl and throw the car away.

She was given 10 days to explain why she had not told them about the stickers, and an additional cigarette lighter point in the boot, when she took the policy out. 

She was warned: "The policy may be declared void".

Age UK told her in a letter: "These modifications do not fit our acceptance criteria for motor insurance and cover would have been declined if we had been made aware of these at the time of purchasing your policy.

In the event of electrical fire damage I can see the point, but for the theft of an item from the car?  Seriously, how many of us would think to declare an extra power outlet on an application - or thinking to tell the insurers we’d fitted one during the policy term?

R

In the event of electrical fire damage I can see the point, but for the theft of an item from the car?  Seriously, how many of us would think to declare an extra power outlet on an application - or thinking to tell the insurers we’d fitted one during the policy term?

R

But how would you know if a previous owner added the lighter? Most people know if their car is petrol or diesel, how would they know that a Corsa SRi doesnt have two cigarette lighters as standard and it was an optional extra? Is there a company you can take your used car to once you have bought it and they will tell you all the modifications that have been made since it came from the factory? Is this something that people do when they buy a used car? No... So it's not realistic to deny a claim because of this sort of thing... 

Slot in a new engine and some spangly alloy wheels and yes, you should tell them....