Coated Brake Discs

Nemesis

My new discs, calipers and pads have arrived from PlaysKool, the discs are coated with some black stuff to keep them pretty, here's the million dollar question, 

The disc instruction say be gentle and let everything bed in...... the pads instructions say get stuck in with some "burnishing".

Should I put some new standard pads in first to settle the discs, then put the race pads in and burnish them, or will the race pads do the whole evolution without getting

upset?

Nem.....

I did the full swap of discs and pads. Read the instructions on the pads, didn't get any with the discs so bedded in with the pad instructions. Worked just fine.

Terry

Change the whole lot in one go Paul.    What's the black  coating you speak of?   

Like this I presume, I got mine from Luke

It just means the rest of the disk won't go horrible and rusty, the pads soon cleaned up the disk surface.

6630f186dec3fd8e7cd39957a65608f4_zps593b

You didn't swag those from my spare room did you...... they're exactly like mine.

• Like 1

loads of people are doing these now, as barry said it leaves the hubs nice rather than rusty. i do remember reading a post on another forum where the OP was moaning that the discs were not black all the way through :)

Seems quite common practice now.

Changed the disks on the the other half's Focus a few months back and they were coated in silver paint.

Instructions on these said don't remove the paint just let the pads do it.

Paint on the friction surface was gone after a few mins and but has so far lasted well on the rest to stop them rusting.