Computer antivirus which is best

pickmaster Andy Lowe

Hi I've hand avast for about 3 years but I've changed email and my activation code has gone to my old email

When I rang them they say it should auto update so must have issues on my computer they can fix for £179

So I've asked for my £19.99 renewal refunded and I'm looking to move on to another antivirus company

Anyone got any suggestions

Thanks in advance

Strange that they can "fix" a problem for £179 !! - sounds a bit of a scam (we used to regularly get spam calls telling us we have a computer problem and they can fix it !! :angry: ).

I've used a few anti virus over the years but have settled on Norton (Internet Security) - it has caught many things real time and runs regular scans to remove anything it doesn't like (like tracking cookies). I don't think there's a single company that is 100% without criticism for one thing or another (interfaces, support, cost etc) but Norton appears to be the best of the bunch for me and I just buy a new version each year the licence runs out - you can usually pick up a bargain from Argos/PC World etc for less than £25 to cover 3 pc's http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/software-gaming-books/software/business-home-office/internet-security-antivirus/norton-internet-security-21776910-pdt.html

There are some good FREE spam/malware software such as Spybot or Malwarebytes that'll scan your pc and remove loads of suspect scammy stuff.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

i use the free avast and it seems pretty much ok for me. also cclean everynow. The guy at work swears by microsoft security essentials as "its the only one that works" but each to their own. Norton always screwed my pc over and made it slow so ive not used it for years so it may be better

after a few differnt types of anti virus i settled on bit defender had it for about the last 3 years and have never had any problems apart from an auto renew feature thats included but dont tell you about

AVG has worked for me and has caught things in emails that have a Norton and Oanda stamp as being scanned!

Msft Security is also good.

I use Webroot, have done for a couple of years, very impressed.  It does have a small annual charge.

I have been using MS Security essentials for years for my home PCs and not had any issues with it (and it's free). I have seen some performance issues with AVG in the past but I suspect that they have fixed those by now.

Avast been very reliable on mine.

Also heard good rep for AVG.

AVG free for me too , with no probs but also use Ad Aware (free  ) alongside it .

I used to pay 2 yearly contract with Avast  but found it dragged my computer down to a snail pace.

IMO there can be to many bells and whistles on  full A/V programmes if you pay for all the "extra" features , just use the basic stuff and be careful what stuff you download & emails you open .

Don't "EVER"  run a programme if you don't know who its from  :t-up:

Avast can be a bit of a pain for self advertising, it pops up with a box with "optimise your pc..." etc fairly often. It also seems to have a problem with the adblock stuff on occasion too. but it does seem reliable.

just watch out for it wanting to install ASK/google chrome etc when you install.

Comodo Internet Security Premium free version (anti-virus + a better firewall than the Windows one) and it works well.  Again make sure you don't load any of their 'add-ons'.  Also have Spywareblaster and Ghostery always running + run Malwarebytes and CCleaner scans regularly.

Avg for me has always been good it seems to have a small memory footprint and has few popups

I had problems with Norton blocking my programs and it getting much slower over time

The key of any anti virus is to ensure its up to date and always custom install to check what "extras" are being installed with it

Hope that helps the 179 definitely sounds like a scam

Paul

Most people I know are quite happy with AVG  Free version, although you have to renew each year.    I had it for some years on my PC before I went to a Mac and never got viruses.