Insurance claims experience - A-Plan & Flux

Boombang

Flux and A-Plan have offered me identical cover, only £10 separates the two quotes.  To differentiate I wondered what experience people have had when making a claim with either?

I've heard good things in the past about both brokers, but not sure about the underlying insurers.  For reference the A-Plan policy is with Markerstudy and the A-Plan policy is with Highway (part of L=V).

Currently both my Westy policy and my road car is with A-Plan.  Last week we had to move the road car insurance from old car to new car, have to say I was pretty unimpressed with their service (took 3 calls to get a copy of the cover note emailed over), however they have been good to deal with on the Westfield.

Not really much to add, but my 3 cars are all with A-Plan, underwritten by Markerstudy. When I crashed the Vectra, and more importantly, it was the other's party fault, Markerstudy did not want to know or get involved as I was not claiming on my policy. They just transferred my call to an accident management company and that was it. A-Plan (and I suspect Flux too) do not really get involved as brokers, which is to be expected.

Make of that what you will, but at the next renewal I will insist they skip any competitive quotes from Markerstudy...

I've used both, had a miserable time claiming with Flux.

Have you asked Flux what happens if you go above the stated mileage on your limited mileage policy or what happens if you have an accident and are over the quoted figure  ? 

If you have 'Legal Protection'  isn't the broker supposed to deal with all of your claim?   and it's usually an add on to a policy these days.

Boombang,I am with Adrian Flux.I had a really bad experience in my Westie.Fortunately I had taken out the breakdown recovery & they arrived within 40 minutes,& took me home.24 hours after the accident a transporter came & collected the car.AF kept me in the loop through out the claim period.After the assessor had declared the car a write off,AF contacted me & sent me a cheque for the full insured amount,less the £100 excess.They had no qualms about re insuring me with the new Westfield that I purchased.

Have you asked Flux what happens if you go above the stated mileage on your limited mileage policy or what happens if you have an accident and are over the quoted figure ?

Not asked but don't recall either policy having a limited mileage. That said I will be nowhere near reaching the declared mileage (probably by a factor of 4).

If you have 'Legal Protection' isn't the broker supposed to deal with all of your claim? and it's usually an add on to a policy these days.

Not sure what it covers Bernie, fortunately I have never had to use it, only my home and work legal assistance.

Flux include it free of charge with that policy so A-Plan did their best to match.

Thanks for other replies too, I never expect insurers or brokers to be easy to deal with so great to get some real experiences. Out of curiosity I might call A-Plan and see if they deal with Highway policies before making a final decision.

Monitor, that's good to hear, was that on the Highway Kit Car scheme?

My dealings with A-Plan have been first rate. Brokers, in general, don't have to get into the minutae of the specifics of any claim as the contract is between yourself and the insurance company. Knowing this, I personally found that A-Plan very helpful in being a go-between when I had to make a claim and they very much spoke up for me with the insurance company, arguing my case for me on an issue that I had about a delay by the insurance company in dealing with my claim. Without their involvement, I think I would've been slower in getting a response.

Thanks for other replies too, I never expect insurers or brokers to be easy to deal with so great to get some real experiences. Out of curiosity I might call A-Plan and see if they deal with Highway policies before making a final decision.

Monitor, that's good to hear, was that on the Highway Kit Car scheme?

A-Plan do use Highway as underwriters, I've just arranged a policy with them.

You wont go wrong with LV and if you do have issues their offices are just around the corner from you so you can shout in person. :t-up:

Yep I've had Highway via A Plan before.

i asked about milage banding a few years back, I can't recall the exact banding now; but essentially, all policies offered to kit owners by default will be a limited milage policy of some sort, if it seems "cheap"! The bands were something along the lines of 2k, 3k, 4k and 5k per annum. As I say, I can't remember what the highest band was now, it might have been 5000, or it might have been a bit more, at that stage the policies stop being limited milage and become more like normal insurance policies. Unfortunately, at that stage there is also a big jump in cost, with the kit policies stopping being quite the bargain they are normally.

By default, with most quotes I've had where I've not specified the limit, the brokers seem to have started at 4000 pa.

I've had a very bad experience with Flux - quick to sell you something which you then find out is not quite what you thought and they then had the nerve to charge horrendous "admin charges" which virtually wiped out the refund :angry:

A-Plan were extremely helpful with Westie and using LV Highway. They gave me a quote for another vehicle using Markerstudy (who I'd never heard of) but quote was not as good as LV Highway and I think LV are someone I can trust should it ever come to a claim (and my pension is with LV).

At the end of the day, it's not always about the cheapest for me, it's about the "comfort factor" of dealing with a company you feel you can trust.

I've used LV for a long time and have nothing but help from them re incidents (not me, but SWMBO!). As a subsidiary 'Highway' I hope are similar, which is who I'm with via A-Plan.