Different gauges

Steve M

My car currently has Smiths white gauges fitted, I've never really liked the white, looking to change to black

Could someone recommend a reasonably priced set of gauges please

Steve

607D004D-A68D-43B7-8A60-0168E9D58BCE.png

Changing gauges may mean having to change oil pressure, water temperature and fuel level senders too too so they are matched to the new gauges. Fuel sender could be a problem if it is a different size/bolt pattern to the old one. Sticking to Smiths, but with different faces would probably be easiest. Might be worth speaking to them and see if they can rebuild your current gauges with new dials and needles.

If you do change manufacturer then I've found ETB to be good. They provide excellent technical support and make sure you get the gauge that suits your situation.

Jen

Thank you Jen, that's a big help & probably the easiest solution.

And thinking about it, that would mean that the mileage would stay the same, if just the fronts could be changed

I'll give you the classic "someone that is more knowledgeable than myself will be along to advise" line that is often typed.

I would imagine there is no reason at all why it would be a major headache to change out your gauges. What I can tell you is that you have the telemetrix range at the moment.

I think key words are "compatibility"... with existing senders and the like, or the acceptance that you have to swap them out too. So for example your 10 bar OP Gauge will have a matching Smiths Electric 10 bar sender so you can't just swap out to say VDO at the gauge end and expect things to work or read correctly.

There are loads of Gauges to choose from and loads of people that do them. Pop along to Demon Tweeks to name one of many. Just to get an idea. Maybe some Smiths black gauges would be a good starting point with a hope that they are comparable with the rest of your system, but honestly I don't know.

If you decide to go further just make sure you do your homework, ask the right questions and soak the advice from the more experienced from the club.

Good luck.

Yep....That Jen, types a lot faster than me....!

Tee Hee :)

• Like 1

I can't seem to find a black face version of the White telemetrix

I could be wrong but I don't think Smiths do a black telemetrix. It would be a case of seeing if Smiths other black face designs share the same senders. Wether you could actually have a word with a knowledgable person at DT or Smiths themselves.

Maybe able to just change the Smiths dial faces to black, have you thought of that?

The cost of getting the dials done would be quite a lot as the bezels always need to be changed as well, As for the senders, all you need to do is to find out the impedence of the senders and check if they are compatible.

Just for a tip, if you need one, intermotor technical department are very good at sorting the right one out. On my VX engine car, they sorted me out a sender that did oil pressure and the oil light to match a VDO gauge for a fraction of the VDO part. It is just knowing where to look.

I quite like the white gauges

Just remembering, there was an article in Complete kit car magazine where John Dickensen, their tech guy, used a cheap programme to screen print new numerals for an old gauge. He sprayed the face and then transferred the numerals onto it sort of like the transfers we used for models, then lacquered them.

I have those Telemetrix gauges as well - not that keen on the colour or design but can't afford to replace them.

I did however replace my oil pressure gauge with a mechanical one from Revotec (who I also think are owned by "Smiths" or CAI as they're now known) - I replaced it simply because I wanted an oil gauge that read in PSI and not BAR but Telemetrix are one of the few not to offer that option  :(.

Revotec used to offer their gauges in Black or "Carbon look" but now only appear to be available in the same colour as the Telemetrix ones.

I've used TIM gauges in another vehicle and they're quite good (and mainly black). You may find that a set of TIM guages and new senders may work out cheaper than just replacing the existing gauges with something "compatible" or having them refaced.

Europa spares have a good selection to look at http://www.europaspares.com/interior-parts/instruments-gauges.html

Thank you for all the really helpful replies

I will contact CAI tomorrow ( they are quite local to me as it turns out ), I will let you know what they say

Steve

You could also try contacting Greengauges.com as they make custom gauges similar to the ones you have.