Top Gear Xmas Special - 27/28th December

CrisisWolf

Just my 2p worth, but I think the the Argentinian media was responsible for what happened at the end, early on they briefly mentioned that a local paper had picked up on the numberplate, this was probably the start of something that snowballed out of control, mob mentality.

Just my 2p worth, but I think the the Argentinian media was responsible for what happened at the end, early on they briefly mentioned that a local paper had picked up on the numberplate, this was probably the start of something that snowballed out of control, mob mentality.

Probably, lets face it the media is the media, whether it's the UK media or the Argentinian media, if it will sell a few more papers lets publish it and be damned

The funny thing is when the media were trying to convince everyone it was deliberate, they were originally trying to persuade people that two of the plates were offensive war references. But when so many people pointed out just how tenuous a link the second plate was, they back pedalled on it very quickly, and just focussed on the one on the Porsche.

FWIW, the only part in the car front that was "set up", was that the "challenge" was worded in such a way that Jeremy could get a 928 GT. Of which there were so few left, the rest was horribly inevitable...

Maybe I am sad but I enjoyed the programme. I found the bit where Jeremy described driving up in time to see his father die was very touching.

Yes the trip is contrived as it would have been easy to do in a 4x4 but where would the fun be in that? Were they ever in danger of the car not getting fixed, not really when you have a 40 strong film crew to help, but the end was not scripted.

The three were whisked off as clearly there was a potential for a big problem and the violence was just ill educate thugs being whipped up by trouble makers. The film crew clearly were scared and the damage done real so there was no doubting the seriousness of the situation they were in. Mobs are by there nature unpredictable and the police lost control.

The Argentine people lost a lot of lives due to the war that the junta started so no doubt in the area of the attacks there would be people who were affected. So if anything the producers were wrong to assume that they would accept a football match in that area. The press clearly whipped it up in the area to great effect, sells newspapers and allowed the failing government to deflect the news away from their problems to blame the British.

Interesting how they appear to be arguing over islands with Chile as well as us, perhaps a theme going there.

What was surprising was how well the Lotus did.

I thought both episodes were great, even before the drama at the end.  3 grumpy old men ridiculing each other, nice cars, beautiful scenery..  keep em coming I say  :yes:

When all the first fuss kicked off a few months ago I checked the number plate on the DVLA site and it had been on the Porsche for at least 6 months. If the length of time the car was taxed for was right ie 12 months tax with 6 months already run. So ended up feeling that it was just an unhappy coincidence, but that may be wrong.

Didn;t the Lotus do well  :d  :d  :d  :d  and the Mustang just confirmed to me never to go near one.

I found the program enjoyable as long as you just look at it as put on fun. Let's face it they had 32 back up crew or some big number like that, so any time there is trouble, stop the film and fix it  :oops:  :oops:

As most have said, I always watch TG, but either I'm getting too old to deal with the ubiquitous descent into the programme being aimed at 9 year old boys or Clarkson is just too far past his sell by date.

anyone with a brain cell will know the numberplate joke backfired, badly.

Can't wait for the next farce: (driving a bacon butty van covered in graphics from the satanic verses through the Islamic State strongholds? ).

As most have said, I always watch TG, but either I'm getting too old to deal with the ubiquitous descent into the programme being aimed at 9 year old boys or Clarkson is just too far past his sell by date. anyone with a brain cell will know the numberplate joke backfired, badly. Can't wait for the next farce: (driving a bacon butty van covered in graphics from the satanic verses through the Islamic State strongholds? ).

That might just get the ratings up.

As most have said, I always watch TG, but either I'm getting too old to deal with the ubiquitous descent into the programme being aimed at 9 year old boys or Clarkson is just too far past his sell by date. anyone with a brain cell will know the numberplate joke backfired, badly. Can't wait for the next farce: (driving a bacon butty van covered in graphics from the satanic verses through the Islamic State strongholds? ).

Now that I would want to watch  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

I enjoyed it too.  Always a big fan of the Butch Cassidy movie and thought they did the scenes that mirrored that pretty well.  As for one of Hammond's friends having eaten beaver - priceless!  Yes it was predictable etc. but still more entertaining than most other stuff on TV.