MOT failure

greenandmean

Hi guys, interested in the collective views of members.

Sister in law bought a car from a garage about 11 months ago, the garage gave it a 12 month mot certificate, it has just had to go into my mates garage for a clutch problem my mate rang me when he had it on the ramps because it is rotten underneath.

Now we realise its too late for her and the car but what do you guys think about reporting the garage to VOSA to get there mot licence revolked, so they don't do the same to other people.

Paul, too late I know but would always suggest anyone buying a car who isn't machanic savvy, to get an AA inspection done.

Having said that I would take back to the garage and ask them to sort it . Also depends on price paid for the car !

Would give the garage a chance to sort it before reporting them....

Good luck.

As I understand it the MoT certificate certifies that a car is safe and roadworthy on the day of the test only. :bangshead: That said, the increasing frequency of 'advisories' has been ascribed to an :arse: covering practice so that any gross failure in the future cannot be laid at their door. A company selling a vehicle is going to be reluctant to issue any advisories because it is a pretty poor advert for the car, of course! That could be their weakness in this case.

It may be worthwhile taking guidance from VOSA or whomsoever administers the tests. 

No advisories on certificate, and the rot is far more than 11 months worth.

I realise buying a 2001 car is a gamble (that failed) but garages should not be selling cars that are potential death traps.

No advisories on certificate, and the rot is far more than 11 months worth.

I realise buying a 2001 car is a gamble (that failed) but garages should not be selling cars that are potential death traps.

Yes, sorry I was editing to say about not issuing an advisory being negligent and it got posted half done! :down:

The MOT only says it met the standard on the day of the test. For example tyres could be swapped that day, which does happen.

Chassis rot is a difficult one, they can only use certain tools to test which really are useless. Even using the tools correctly it is hard to get a small hammer to hole a chassis that is weak, where a screwdriver would hole it.

I suspect after 11 months you have no chance of VOSA taking action as so much could have happened to that car in between.

I would never buy a car where the garage who owns it has put a ticket on it without getting it checked out. The but is if it was a £500 car it is probably a fifth of the worth of the car.

VOSA/DVSA won't be interested due to the length of time between the test and rexamination , however I would at first ask the garage who conducted the test to explain the condition of the vehicle and go from there . It may be worth speaking to the local Vehicle Inspector on the area and advising him of a potential risk from the garage although VOSA/DVSA are very short on staff at the moment and it is increasingly rare they are seen out and about .  It is good practice to advise on items that may not be testable and are at fault or items that are outside of for example prescribed areas , however this has clearly not been done .  

There are also considerations as to where the corrosion is and whether it is within prescribed areas such as steering , suspension , bodymounts , and seat belt mountings . 

MOT standard is say 3 out of 10 , Service standard is 8 out of 10 so a big variance there , it would be interesting to see some photo's of the corrosion however . 

You could have a car such as a Nissan Almera with a completely rotten front crossmember underneath the engine mounting (engine mounts are now testable) , the new item of engine mounts doesn't include a prescribed area , nuts really . 

• Like 1

The MOT is as stated only the basic standard of road worthiness. After eleven months DVSA would not be able to either intervene or make a judgement. You would be best advised to go back to the vendor and ask if they would be prepared to help but I doubt it. I would advise anyone purchasing a vehicle to have an examination carried out by a recognised inspector. As aerodynamix said only corrosion in " a prescribed area" is an MOT test failure IE within 30cm of steering, suspension etc other corrosion should be advised but this is not always the case.

As always it's buyer beware and many used car outlets only want a sale.

Why not send it there for its next test which can be one month before it's due date and see if they fail it? If they don't or they miss anything then involve DVSA.

Where in West Yorkshire are you as many local councils carry out MOT tests and are not biased or interested in making money for repairs.

VOSA will not be interested in corrosion if the MOT is more than 30days old.

Dodgey dealers will MOT a car and then put on the market one month later

I find myself saying this over and over again on different forums......

NEVER trust an MOT issued whilst a vehicle was in the care of a dealer or dealership (yes even dealerships), especially if it was done on site.

They know that by the time you find the faults, you'll be a long way past any warranty period and a long way past the point where you can hurt their licence to carry out MOTs, so effectively they'll pass an unroadworthy car in a heartbeat JUST for profit.

I read something somewhere about car salesmen and sociopathic behaviour, which explains why they seem all nice and friendly, but will let you drive a dangerous car off their forecourt.

I think it's worth going back to the garage in question, giving them an opportunity to resolve and if not satisfacgtorily dealt with then pursue DVLA / VOSA route.  For all you know they could already be under investigation and maybe keen to avoid anymore attention - or just don't want to pop up on their radar. You could also threaten bad online reviews etc.  Won't be a pleasant experience mind you.

Is your mate a certified tester?  Reason I ask is because I once had a car that was rotten underneath, really rotten. Most people said it was terminal and would never get through a test but the local garage (reputable place) said it was ok.  They simply replaced the corroded brake lines and passed it. No advisories.

Many thanks for the answers guys, rather confirmed what I thought that its too late to do anything about it.

Cannot return car to dealer for mot (was due 2/1/15) as gearbox was removed to get to clutch problem which was terminal, so obviously not worth fitting a new clutch to then get an mot failure.

If any other garage than my mates they probably would have fitted a clutch and taken her money, but seeing the state of the rear chassis rails my mate rang me and asked me to go take a look. We agreed between us that it was not worth repairing a decision my sister in law accepted owing to the fact she often carried her grand children about in the back of the car and in the event of a rear end shunt it would have folded like a cardbord box.

Buyer beware indeed, but as I stated earlier buying an 12/13 year old car is a gamble.