Removing scuttle

RoboS

Hi Everyone

Please can some one answer the following questions

How easy is it to remove the scuttle?

I can see two set screws on the sides of both footwells. Are these the only fixings or are any other ones hidden in the centre just above the tunnel?

Ive removed them and the only thing that seems to be holding it in place is loads of mastic.

It appears to be very solid, and i dont want to break the it, any tips to remove it would be very appreciated.

Im fitting a new dash over Christmas - hopefully!

Thanks

Rob

I'm afraid it's a kit car, no one but the builder can give a definitive answer. People do all manor of things differently.

If it's the most common flat fronted scuttle, then the build manual does indeed just have four bolts fixing it. The joint line is then normally sealed with silicon.

Depending how much silicon has been used, the scuttle almost doesn't need the bolts! Try (incredibly carefully) to run a thin knife blade round the join line. Try to lift the scuttle from a corner, easing it up, rather than trying to pry a whole side up in one go.

Watch for wires and hose joining items fixed to the scuttle to the chassis, there may not be much slack.

If you have a heater and screen, the scuttle is very heavy and unwieldy, specially if trying to wriggle and pry it away.

I do know people who have destroyed scuttles trying to get them off, I'm afraid.

Hi most do only have the 4 fixings but I know mines got 5 I added 1 at the front because the scuttle didn't sit down properly with just 4 so have a good look in foot wells . But if your just changing your dash do you really need to take it off?

Andy

I found one of the wife's kitchen knives was thin and flexible enough  to cut the silicon, otherwise its a real pain

Mine is secured with 4 bolts too, and the silicon stuff I just sliced at with a knife until through. Take your time and you'll be fine!

• Like 1

I've never used silicone - some self adhesive rubber strip is fine to keep the rain and spray out

:yes:  Yup, removed all my gunky silicone and replaced with closed cell self adhesive strip (50mm wide) - plus the 4 bolts of course.

I'm afraid it's a kit car, no one but the builder can give a definitive answer. People do all manor of things differently.

If it's the most common flat fronted scuttle, then the build manual does indeed just have four bolts fixing it. The joint line is then normally sealed with silicon.

Depending how much silicon has been used, the scuttle almost doesn't need the bolts! Try (incredibly carefully) to run a thin knife blade round the join line. Try to lift the scuttle from a corner, easing it up, rather than trying to pry a whole side up in one go.

Watch for wires and hose joining items fixed to the scuttle to the chassis, there may not be much slack.

If you have a heater and screen, the scuttle is very heavy and unwieldy, specially if trying to wriggle and pry it away.

I do know people who have destroyed scuttles trying to get them off, I'm afraid.

Dave

Thats what ive done, its off now and still in one piece.

Now on to stage 2

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

Excellent!

it is much easier changing dashes, assuming wiring mods for new switches, or moved switches etc, without the scuttle on.