Lewis Hamilton F1 Champ

Terryathome

Nice to see pretty positive reports from all over Europe.

For those of you who can read Nico's first (of five, I think) language, you can find Die Welt (their "Times") opining that Hamilton is a worthy champion and that his victory was almost universally enthusiastically praised in the press. It then quotes from a dozen other European (non-British) papers to demonstrate its point.

Corriere dello Sport (Italy) went so far as to call LH "the true heir of Senna".

Linky: http://www.welt.de/sport/formel1/article134655200/Hamilton-verwandelt-Rosberg-in-eine-Miezekatze.html

I'd picked up on this sentiment from various F1 journalists I follow on Twitter. Hamilton seems universally popular. It was speculated that Mercedes probably wanted him to win as he's worth so much more in PR terms around the world than Rosberg. What's also becoming clear is that Hamilton holds the remaining keys to the driver market. I strongly suspect both Ron Dennis and Fernando Alonso were hoping for a fallout resulting in Hamilton going back to McLaren and Alonso to Mercedes. Now Ron and Fernando will be stuck with eachother instead. Assuming Hamilton doesn't surprise everyone by not resigning for Mercedes!

I reckon Riciardo's third in the championship is a bit of an achievment.. all things considered. Best of the rest? :t-up:

I agree. His driving is clearly first class, and so is his attitude. He comes across as a really nice guy, maybe a champion of the future?

• Like 1

I agree. His driving is clearly first class, and so is his attitude. He comes across as a really nice guy, maybe a champion of the future?

I agree too and it's good that he out performs Vettel as well. I have to admit that Ricciardo's blinding and incessant grin was a bit off putting, but he grows on me as a pretty decent sort of bloke with undoubted talent. :t-up:

I'd picked up on this sentiment from various F1 journalists I follow on Twitter. Hamilton seems universally popular. It was speculated that Mercedes probably wanted him to win as he's worth so much more in PR terms around the world than Rosberg. What's also becoming clear is that Hamilton holds the remaining keys to the driver market. I strongly suspect both Ron Dennis and Fernando Alonso were hoping for a fallout resulting in Hamilton going back to McLaren and Alonso to Mercedes. Now Ron and Fernando will be stuck with eachother instead. Assuming Hamilton doesn't surprise everyone by not resigning for Mercedes!

I really can't understand why McLaren would want Alonso (and vice versa). Assuming Ron will still be running the show, then why sign a driver you don't get on with and really isn't that much better in a decent car than at least one, if not both, of the drivers you already have. And Alonso has clearly shown that he's impatient for a championship winning car and next years McLaren is going to be an unknown. Really odd situation and my opinions of McLaren have gone right down :down: .

Fortunately Williams are on the up so 2015 may not be a Mercedes monopoly.     

Alonso spoke of his next venture being a multi-year project so I assume he doesn't expect to have a great season next year. Looks like Honda are where everyone else was back in February too.