Half Hood?

Never Too Old

I received my second half-hood from Westfield yesterday. I ordered it back in July and I had to reject the first one they sent me for quality reasons. The plastic clip for the top of the windscreen was not centred so the vinyl top was p!ssed and there was yellow glue all over it that was visible when fitted, it also had a tear in the outer bag. That said, they collected it without any argument and supplied another one which looks fine and although I've not fitted it properly yet, looks like it will go on ok. Luckily I've not missed it over the summer months.

As far as giving shelter against the rain - it's better than the alternative!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peet

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Stuart

• D7PNY

I've fitted a 1/2 hood to all 3 of the Westies I've had and it's great for keeping the worst of the weather off but you still get wet. I fitted the rear strap mountings onto the RAC bar backstays. Much stronger than drilling the bodywork and allows you to get it really tight. That stops a lot of the buffeting on your head because of the extra tension. My previous 1/2 hoods never had the side straps, so I haven't fitted them this time.

Matt

I have the stock hoop westfield roll bar, after reading some older posts it seems the RAC type roll bar would offer a fair bit more protection than the stock hoop afair

When fitting the half hood straps to the RAC roll bar supports do you need to drill the supports for the thumb twists ?

I have the standard bar too - and my car is currently at WSC for them to use it to facilitate design and build of a half-hood for the standard bar with sufficient headroom.  Hopefully on display at the open day.

I have the stock hoop westfield roll bar, after reading some older posts it seems the RAC type roll bar would offer a fair bit more protection than the stock hoop afair

When fitting the half hood straps to the RAC roll bar supports do you need to drill the supports for the thumb twists ?

Yes, that's what I did.

Cheers, Matt

You could, but don't have too. I mounted mine on the rear of the tub.

You could, but don't have too. I mounted mine on the rear of the tub.

The thing is though Dave, if you still want to use a rear vinyl boot cover I suppose you would have to use the thumb twists, I just don't like the idea of drilling a new roll bar

I used mine with a rear tonneau cover. That said, I also kept the hood frame on the car as I used it with the full hood too.

i had the half hood fasteners on top of the rear edge of the tub, they sat covered by the hood frame, then the tonneau cover, (boot only type) would go over that. The little straps then poked up through the same openings in the tonneau that the rear RAC bar stays came through.

an alternative if you don't want to drill anything, is to attach the half hood lower straps to the roll bar back stays with hose clamps. (Below the level of the boot box, obviously, so you can't see them.

I have replaced a hood stud for a rivnut with tenax fastener in the tub. If you kept a full hood or tonneau then just replace those 2 studs for tenax fasteners to match the half hood.

I have the standard bar too - and my car is currently at WSC for them to use it to facilitate design and build of a half-hood for the standard bar with sufficient headroom.  Hopefully on display at the open day.

Take some photos for me please! 

Take some photos for me please! 

Not 100% sure it's going to come to fruition, Richard.  Waiting for advice from Westfield. 

Ive seen soft bits for sevens do one but reading this thread about head height issues (and doing a test myself with wood across windscreen and roll bar) I can see why. Unless you slid/clipped on something to raise the height of the mounting points I dont think it would be very useable.

Does anyone know if the msa bar style half hood soft bits do fits the playskool roll bar? Advertised as fitting the westfield 'caged' one but they look very similar proportions.

Cheers,

Dave