Any property / land solicitors on here

Arm

Looking for some advice and happy to pay for it relating to boundaries and deeds, Anyone on here able to offer advice ?

Thanks

yes , just bang a fence up wuv , simples

I'm not a conveyancing solicitor but after 3 failed property purchases, one over land issues, might be able to point you in the right direction.  Each solicitor I used was crap in their very own way, basically did their job for them.

I know a couple mainly focus on commercial property though (so tend to charge accordingly but I'd be more than happy to sound them out to see if they can do anything at sensible cost - just about to pay one of them so it's a good time to ask!)

Ive used Matthew Crosse at Messrs Tollers in N'pton for all commercial work and their firm are very good at Property as well. Land agents/party issues try Matthew Pocock at Fisher German in Market Harborough (very good initial advice) 

HTH

James 

Boundaries are a whole heap of trouble if you ask me. As a general rule the OS map is used to define the boundry if not on the title deeds. The OS maps can be wrong as I found out and by some margin. I did contact the OS people but just like the tax man your guilty until proven guilty thats why boundry disputes end up in court and cost a fortune for possible the wrong result. SteveD got the right answer I kid you not. "Bang a fence up"

Terry

Stating the obvious but have you got a copy of Land Registry details?

Yes we have all copies of land registry going back to the 1930. Its all clear until 5 yrs ago when a neighbour put up a fence 2 foot into our garden . We didnt know until we received the deeds and checked.

Hoping to get it put right by amicable means.

I'm looking for someone who can read the title deeds and confirm or not our interpretation.

Arm,

IMO you need a surveyor in the first instance to do a take off from your deeds versus the fence line on the ground. - relatively simple. Then you will have the actual line of the boundary to see and commence discussions.  Much cheaper than lawyer and a representation of fact to discuss with neighbour.  MK surveys are very good but it depends where you are in the UK.  I have this all the time in forestry establishing felling licence extent in the middle of no where :-) 

• Like 1

Arm,

IMO you need a surveyor in the first instance to do a take off from your deeds versus the fence line on the ground. - relatively simple. Then you will have the actual line of the boundary to see and commence discussions.  Much cheaper than lawyer and a representation of fact to discuss with neighbour.  MK surveys are very good but it depends where you are in the UK.  I have this all the time in forestry establishing felling licence extent in the middle of no where :-)

100% agree, we went down this exact same route. And it worked out well.

If you've got the deeds with the boundary's marked on them, all you need is a scale rule and a tape measure,

I think most of us on here can read numbers ;)

That will give you a rough baseline to establish if the fence is miles out from where it should be, then you can decide whether to start spending money proving it :t-up:

If you've got the deeds with the boundary's marked on them, all you need is a scale rule and a tape measure,

I think most of us on here can read numbers ;)

That will give you a rough baseline to establish if the fence is miles out from where it should be, then you can decide whether to start spending money proving it :t-up:

I'm not 100% sure on this, so don't take it as gospel. I'm going back to a pretty stressful time and I've probably suppressed many of the memories...

I seem to remember the plans you get from the Land Registry are not accurate to scale off. Especially for distances less then a meter or so. They are supposed to indicate general boundaries.

What you need to find is an original plan with actual measurements from a fixed point, like an existing house.

Also, do you think the neighbour is the sort to be agreeable? I seem to remember part of selling a house now is completing a form stating if there have been any boundary disputes.

Accepting that I am a bit of a wimp who avoids confrontation, if you think it could get nasty, take a moment and think is it worth it.

John, I've had two property purchases fall through this year over boundary issues. If a prospective buyer or solicitor notices a boundary issue it's goodbye to the sale.

The first was obvious, the land registry showed boundary behind garage but the fence was another 20' further.

The second was more subtle as only came to light on inspection of the deeds, but it meant we gained responsibility to a road and large length of sewer.