Track day essentials

Steve M

I'd agree with just about everything above - watch out for trackdays on little used places - I did a trackday in my Jedi (just to set it up) at Wroughton (before the MoD started using it again) - by the end of the day, I'd "sand blasted" the whole fibreglass under-skirt as obviously the pop up track hadn't been cleaned  :cry:  I did manage a few laps following a Cosworth DFV powered Arrows which was great fun (especially the exhaust fumes  :rolleyes: )

I'm not normally a fan of energy drinks but i found them invaluable - half a small can before you start and then a couple of cans after to try and manage the adrenalin rush and uber excitement.

Yes, take some spare petrol - you'd be surprised how much you use when you're pushing hard. I assume you'll have someone with you (wise) as you may be shattered at the end of the day and not really want to drive home - fortunately my eager son had just passed his driving test so an eager chauffeur ;)

And have fun

A couple of tips

1. Do not engage the handbrake after each session as the heat in the pads and rotors can bind your rear brakes.

2. It was also recommended to me that I invest in some arm restraints (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QMFIJ6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I thought $20 to ensure that my arms/hands are fine in the event of an accident was good value.

3. Check the car over after each session. You ar pushing it harder than you ever will on the road, so something usually comes up.

Thanks for all the really helpful pointers from all the above posts, I've learnt a great deal !

I'm no race track expert, so an airfield track day definitely looks the best option for me,

I did look at the Motorsports events web page & also Track days.co.uk, has anyone tried the two companies? How do they differ ?

Hullavington looks to be most convenient for me

Thanks again

Steve

Trackdays.co.uk are just a re-seller of all the trackdays organisers,  best to book direct with MSE and others. Occasionally the price is slightly higher on trackdays.co.uk.   If you go on a Javelin event WSSC has a 5% discount. 

All good points.

I would also suggest that with regard to timing, if you are on an open pitlane day (the best) then ignore the first half hour of the day and chill in the pits. This first session and the first half hour after lunch are when a lot of accidents happen. It is best a new comer to avoid these times and you wont be involved in anything as an innocent party.

Most people rush out, crowd the track and go too fast too soon. Be patient as there is plenty of track time. If your car is road based limit you and your car to 20 mins max to avoid too much strain.

cheers Jon

• Like 1

It certainly seems to get a bit manic directly after the lunch break!

May sound daft but don't forget your keys if your trailering your car to track 2 of mates have done this. I always load everything up the night before and double check I have everything. I also take spare wheels (be a shame to spoil your day due to a puncture). Engine oil,brake fluid and water I always keep an eye on these things throughout the day.

Ben

A track day essential that I am surprised no one has mentioned yet:

A car!

Jen,

Who has only done one track day, but did remember to bring her Westfield. :)

• Like 2

I would not let Castle Combe put you off. It's a very wide track, and you'll only come off if you drive beyond your own limits. For example, the two really fast parts with poor run-off are entering and leaving the start/finish straight. Just go only as fast as you feel happy with. No reason to crash on a track day unless you are pushing beyond what you feel comfortable with. You can drive whatever speed you like. There is never any pressure. In the "slow" or "beginner" groups there is always someone pootling around slowly.

I actually found the intermediate or fast groups to be better as you dont' get stuck behind fast-in-a-straight-line, slow-round-the-corner types.

One vital thing to check, particularly at CC, is that your cans are not loud. They have VERY strick noise limits (96 or 99db, I think 96) and won't let you on the track of you fail the test. 

EG. This is too loud (this is at Llandow where they don't seem to care)

p.s. Castle Combe cafe is run by the most miserable & meanest staff I've ever encountered. Take your own grub and boycott the grumpy sods :-p

This is Castle Combe (this would have been my 2nd track day - I spent the 1st half of the day re-packing my exhaust - and I still broke the limits but only by a small amount so they took pity on me and let me out)

I agree with all the suggestions, particularly petrol, whilst some tracks have local petrol stations it is not a good use of time running to and fro when you could be on track. Always amazes me how quickly you get through it on track.

I find a folding chair quite useful as I am a lazy sod and hate all the standing around, between runs, lunch etc. and warm cloths, whilst the forecast maybe great some of the airfields etc can be quite barren and windy.

Whilst I load the tow car up with loads of stuff 'just in case' it is the fluids and pressure gauge and pump I use most

There's a few of us who do a few of the Motorsport Events days as a group. You're welcome to join in with us. There's always enough tools in the group to fix whatever breaks on my car :d