Track day essentials

Steve M

I apologise if this question has been asked, but after a search on here I can't find an old thread relating to it

I'm looking to hopefully take my car on track next year at a track day event ( Castle Combe ) being the closest

Apart from the obvious being a crash helmet, what else do I need to allow me on track ? Race harness? Or does a seatbelt suffice ?

Full roll cage ? I only have a roll bar at present

Fire extinguisher on board ? Etc

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi Steve,

Generally just a crash helmet from the list of things you've given.

Most operators will ask that you have your arms fully covered In an open car.

You need to make sure that you have nothing loose in the car to rattle around and hit anything.

Other things to think about are tyre pressure.

Rgds

Tony

On my Track day list

1) Fuel Can - Full

2) Spare throttle cable - it would be a shame if the day was spoilt by a £3 cable.

3) Umbrella - Stay dry it awful when you are soaked.

4) Driving Licence

5) Mini tool kit - small selection of spanners, Allen keys, jack, tyre foam

Clothes - Track day

1) All limbs covered

2) I choose to wear gloves

3) Helmet - Track days a Bike helmet is fine

seat belt fine, roll bar fine, you don't need extinguisher .... its a track day so don't worry your car will be fine as standard.

in sprinting you would be fine with seat belt, and roll bar (I would upgrade personally) and we don't need extinguishers (yet)  

if you want a chat PM me... I'm no expert but always happy to talk.

Cheers

Panda

Good advice above.    Before the day, check oil, coolant are at the correct levels and no leaks.  Check wheel nuts are tightened correctly and check them a couple of times throughout the day. Decent brake pads are needed as they take a bashing on track. All this can be done a few days before the event.

My 2 essentials for driving on tracks are.......

a Helmet

& a PANDA!  :d

On my Track day list

1) Fuel Can - Full

2) Spare throttle cable - it would be a shame if the day was spoilt by a £3 cable.

3) Umbrella - Stay dry it awful when you are soaked.

4) Driving Licence

5) Mini tool kit - small selection of spanners, Allen keys, jack, tyre foam

Clothes - Track day

1) All limbs covered

2) I choose to wear gloves

3) Helmet - Track days a Bike helmet is fine

seat belt fine, roll bar fine, you don't need extinguisher .... its a track day so don't worry your car will be fine as standard.

in sprinting you would be fine with seat belt, and roll bar (I would upgrade personally) and we don't need extinguishers (yet)  

if you want a chat PM me... I'm no expert but always happy to talk.

Cheers

Panda

• Like 2

My advice would be to start easy on your car and yourself. Build up speed and only do 5 or 6 laps and on the last half a lap slow a bit and try not to use the brakes too much to let them cool. Give the car a check over and cool down then head out again.

Once you know the car is holding up ok, you can take bernie's approach and stay out until you run out of fuel or something breaks  ;)  ;)  ;)

• Like 1

Yep - INSTRUCTION

The best value upgrade you can do!

Panda and myself hired Ray Grimes for the day at Anglesey http://www.raygrimes.co.uk/ - muchly improved drivers and car balance. I highly recommend him - I was far faster following day during the Sprint Competition.

• Like 1

At the briefing they will ask if there are any people who haven't done a track day before, they normally ask/suggest you to stick a yellow/black marker on the cars rear that just tells others that you are maybe not as experienced as the rest think they are. Its not a badge of honour, watch out for quiet periods to go out in so that you can practise without hindering others and just watch your mirrors all the time to avoid annoying any of the "experts".

Do a spanner check of all your suspension and steering bolting prior to going, make sure your exhaust isn't too loud as it will be tested for noise, then as above.

Enjoy the day its well worth it

Bob :d

I would add my preparations for speed series events starts with food and drink planning - if you are hungry you won't perform to your best and most circuits have pitiful catering arrangements.

Bacon sandwiches are ideal, pork pie and mustard is good, crisps (no too many) few coffee's and a hip flask (for after)   

It likely that you will have a massive adrenaline rush which will increase your metabolism greatly.  My "sports nutritionist" suggested I eat shortly before getting the car and immediately after to stop "blood sugar spikes".   :d

Castle coombe does have a very good cafe so you should  be fine.

God luck and have fun  :yes:

One thing I'd add is that Castle Coombe is a proper circuit, so has Armcos and stuff to protect spectators.  It's also a very quick circuit and if you spin and hit something, like said Armcos, you will do expensive damage to your car.  

If you are new to track days, I would suggest a couple of airfield track days to explore the limits of you and your car. The difference with airfields is that they have huge runoff areas in places where you are likely to spin and very little to clobber apart from other cars, which if everyone plays by the rules, should not be a problem.  

Try Motorsports events.  They do good ones at around £110 a pop.  Great value, especially if you get some time with their instructors.

One thing I'd add is that Castle Coombe is a proper circuit, so has Armcos and stuff to protect spectators.  It's also a very quick circuit and if you spin and hit something, like said Armcos, you will do expensive damage to your car.  

If you are new to track days, I would suggest a couple of airfield track days to explore the limits of you and your car. The difference with airfields is that they have huge runoff areas in places where you are likely to spin and very little to clobber apart from other cars, which if everyone plays by the rules, should not be a problem.  

Try Motorsports events.  They do good ones at around £110 a pop.  Great value, especially if you get some time with their instructors.

Good advice Mike

yes combe is a very quick track - mind going over the rise and down into quarry...

yes combe is a very quick track - mind going over the rise and down into quarry...

^^^  Only done that once, in the wet, absolutely tiptoeing around Quarry and still came out backwards! 

That's a case in point as to where there is very little room for error at Castle Coombe

I wholeheartedly agree with Mooch. MSE events (Hullavington is near Castle Coombe) are terrific value and great fun. Sadly, Keevil which is also near CC, is off the availability list for now due to MOD re-establishing it as an active airfield. 

Noise testing is always a good idea. Go along to Castle Coombe on a track day, or to Hullavington likewise, and they'll happily do a check for you free of charge. bl**** annoying to turn up and be prevented from running because of a dB or two over.