Engine advice

Glyn

Hi, I've been looking into a mega s2000 build. I'm just having second thoughts with it being my first build and me being a bit noddy! The thought of a new engine that I can trust is appealing and in my mind would be more straight forward. So the question is...zetec or duratec? Still want something a bit special with plenty of oomph! Thanks all

Glyn

we have a rebuilt 2.0 ltr Duratec ready to go. the engine was in a accident damaged race car that we bought to split for spares, it was mapped on our rollers 6 months before the car was crashed and made 257 bhp. and 185 ft lbs of torque.

spec is as follows

SBD steel rods and Omega forged pistons

New SBD cams, verniers and springs

ported head

Pace dry sump system

New Jenvey 45mm  throttle bodies, air horns, fuel rail and injectors.

the engine has been fully stripped, checked and rebuilt with new rings, bearings, timing chain, tensioner and chain guides.

the new cams are a later spec that the ones the engine was originally mapped with so i fully expect the engine to make in excess of 260 bhp once fully run in and mapped.

£4500 plus vat

I estimate that if you were building an engine to this spec using a 2nd hand donor engine and without any labour you would be into £5800 for the parts.

please give me a call on 01604 766624 if you are interested and want to discuss the engine.

regards Troy

Glyn,

The s2000 engine is really sweet. Don't discount it too early in your plans. Honda have a firm reputation for building bullet-proof engines and sourcing a really good second hand s2000 shouldn't be too difficult.

Just my view......

• Like 1

I've often thought about what engine I'd use if (when?) my XE goes awol - though hopefully not for a while yet.

I've looked at all the threads on here and other build blogs, and although the Ford Duratec would make a nice choice with the likes of Cosworth and Burtons offering lots of tuning goodies, I've had a drive in the S2000 and the engine was just the sweetest thing I've ever driven.... :d

So I suspect I'd ditch my standard type9 setup and go for the S2000 engine / gearbox combination and enjoy some Japanese engineering (ok, the Duratec may be part Masda but it still has a Ford badge on it).

Honda for me next time......   

But that engine from Troy looks very tempting if I had nearly £5.5k to spend ;)

• Like 1

I had a really high spec XE, in a car I'd spent nearly ten years developing. I sold it all on to start again with the Honda Mega S2000 kit.

The kit has gone together like a dream so far, my only major issues were some delays in a small number of parts early on, which meant by the time I'd got them, it was the start of the summer and a mix of personal, club and work commitments meant I didn't have so much time free. (Oh and an easily resolved gearbox issue caused in transit - easily avoided if I'd collected it myself)

As far as ease of building goes though, the Mega car is at least as easy, if not easier than a Zetec or Duratec. Why easier? Because you've got an engine and box designed to bolt together and be used in a rear wheel drive car, unlike the Zetec and Duratec installs where you're converting front wheel drive engines to rear drive use, take a look at the posts on water rails and pluming, along with clutch combinations, to make the set up work.

Don't misunderstand me, both the Zetec and Duratec engines make fantastic cars, and all the extra work needed to use them in a rear drive set up has been done a thousand times before, so parts are available.

But the Honda just fits, and works, simple. Oh and to get the performance level of the Honda will take some expensive engine mods and engine rebuilds with either Ford option.

Don't forget, once you get away from the engine bay, the builds going to be virtually the same whatever engine choice you make anyway.

• Like 1

I started my s2000 build even before the factory had a kit to offer and even thought I had to modify the the gearbox to fit round the chassis and make all the mounts I was surprised on how easy it was to fit

Now they offer the kit it really is just plug and play

As the owner and a big fan of the XE - the only thing that makes me envious is people that own or are building s2000's...

So can you all please just stop it!

Jim

I have a semi-high spec XE and my advice is go for as standard an engine as you can. So if you want decent power out the box go S2000.

• Like 2