back to being a westfield owner

john10speed

have choice of older Vxr with 39000 miles 2001 or HPI cat D Seight 2011 from GlenTVR would appreciate thoughts . Not for track days more for weekends or tours .

Never heard of that dealer/salvage place before, but by coincidence they're advertising this Caterham, one I remember being written about by its previous owner when it was written off.

The original owner is discussing it on Blatchat at the moment, here.

Read in to that what you will, but personally I think I'd be looking else where.

i know the car and a lot of cars he buys he had cars from me , the seight had rear impact and needed a rear end chassis at minimum and full bodywork ,its not even cheap ,if your buying a cat car it has to be priced right and his are top money that you could buy straight cars for

is the vxr a orange one by chance , if so check the o/s front chassis as its had heavy impact on that side and needs a chassis as its had a horrible half botched repair  where the lower front wishbone mounts hidden by a hideous bonded on alloy plate , and the car is a dog

he is advertising a cat c westfield to thats had flood damage ,i think he paid 6k for off copart , when i asked the engine was locked ,and the chassis will be full of water , so not a bargain at 9k when you factor in a new engine/ecu whatever and your chassis is still full of rusty water

What Steve said.

A quick leaf through the TVR forums gives lots of similar stories; tales of wrecks with expensive work required bought for absolute top dollar, (great for sellers, but apparently affecting the genuine TVR private owner/restorer niche), then being sold on for a thousand or two over the purchase price, with the amount of work required to fix really played down in the sales ads.

Note in that Caterham ad, according to its original owner, the need for welding was only added to the advert after the car was flagged up on Blatchat as needing work!

No secrets about the fact that the VX that John's asking about is mine (the"Boghouse").

We've arranged a deal this morning but please feel free to comment, I'm sure John would appreciate your opinions.

Cheers Wayne

God I wish I'd known that earlier; just get the Boghouse bought, this is an exceptional car, very well known in the club, owned and worked on over the years by a number of very well known club members! VERY, VERY few cars will come with as rock solid a provenance as this one!