Jinxed by John K ;)

Quinten

No sooner than I had offered my condolences for his first breakdown, I have just had to push the mighty(!) crossflow back into the garage as it came to a spluttering end at the end of my street.  My non-mechanical gut feeling tells me the fuel pump stopped working and I only managed to drive the 200 yards or so with the fuel left in the lines/carbs.  Didn't have time to investigate due to the neccessity to get to work in time, so I will have to have a good look tonight.

Is there a way to 'see' fuel being pumped?  Is it a case of having a suitable container and disconnect the line after the pump and run it into the container and see if it flows?

Yep thats the way to do it 

Then check fuse etc if no power to pump

Q you should be able to hear if the pumps working, switch the ignition on and listen for a fast clicking noise or a hum from behind the rear bulkhead ( behind drivers seat ) if it's not working check the fuse first ( as Terry said ) if that's ok you need to check you have 12v at the fuel pump before assuming it knackered.

Good Luck

Cheers Terry and Martin.  I normally pay notice to the fuel pump ticking away, but I'm not sure I heard it this morning.  So it could be fuse, wiring or pump itself really...  It's a good thing I managed to get home last night, I couldn't have lived down a recovery at the pub ;)

Assuming you can hear the pump running, but not getting any fuel......

If you have an inline fuel filter, which you should have (I don't have one :p ), you would see the fuel bubbling through that whilst the float chambers fill up.

Also, it's well worth opening up the carbs and sucking out any remaining fuel (use a small PVC hose and get right to the bottom), my car was a bit splutterly last Sunday, on Wednedday I sucked all the fuel out of the carbs and found a few mm of water in there, Yesterday I drove it to work no problem. Second time this year i've had to do this........ bl**** ethanol!!

Yes, I do have a filter (one of those transparent filter king ones iirc), so I'll check that as well.  How does one 'open the carbs' ?

Also, a colleague mentioned that the fuel pump may be on a relay?  I don't recall seeing something resembling the 'pink' relay he mentioned, but then again, I've not really looked for this either...

We should get our XFlows together, yours with electrics but no fuel, mine with no electrics but got fuel.

On average we will get one working one :t-up:

• Like 1

Also, a colleague mentioned that the fuel pump may be on a relay?  I don't recall seeing something resembling the 'pink' relay he mentioned, but then again, I've not really looked for this either...

Fuel pump on a Westfield (especially a xFlow engined one) won't be on a relay so ignore your colleague... ;)

How does one 'open the carbs' ?

Assuming webers, disconnect the fuel lines, removed the jet cover (the wing nut thing) undo the top plate screws (x5) and lift the covers off carefully (so as not to damage the gasket). Place these upside down somewhere, not resting on the floats.

In the bottom there are 4 small holes leading the very bottom of the carb, this is where the fuel is picked up into the jets and also where water tends to gather, it's actually designed as a baffle to prevent fuel sloshing about in corners/etc. I use a 4mm PVC hose connected to a medical syringe and use an old jam jar to dump it in.

Even if it's not the cause of the problem, it's still worth doing from time to time.

:d

Honestly I make it sound more complex than it is, 10 minute job tops.

Would advise gloves though if you do anything fuel related, my hands still smell 48hrs later :p

• Like 1

Fuel pump on a Westfield (especially a xFlow engined one) won't be on a relay so ignore your colleague... ;)

To be fair a westfield could be wired a whole host of different ways. If you've not built your car yourself, don't discount anything  :oops:

• Like 1

If only all problems are as easy as mine resolved...   :blush:

Rolled the car out of the garage, removed the bonnet, did a cursory check of the fuel filter (seemed empty), looked at the fuses (all present and accounted for) and put the key into the ignition on position 2.  Fuel pump ticked away, but there didn't seem to flow much fuel to the filter...  then I had my  :swear: moment...

When I filled up last night (after a spirited drive to the Beds&Bucks&Herts meet) when I tried to remove the filler cap, it was 'stuck' due to a slight vacuum in the tank.  This happens occasionally, and I had thought nothing off it.  Until now.  Removed filler cap again, and after the psssssh, the filter filled up and after a few seconds, the engine jumped back to life when I turned the ignition.  Left it running for a few minutes and all is well  :t-up:

So how to resolve?  I took a picture of the filler neck, and there doesn't seem to be a breather of some sort  ???

2014-09-12+17_43_54.jpg