My first 'breakdown'

John K

Had to happen sooner or later...

Just fitted the side screens Steve made me and went out for a test drive.

First roundabout I went for a spirited 270 degree circuit and on exiting there was a clattering from underneath and it was linked to road speed.

Still had drive so I got to a safe bit, used the ever present Westie ramp (the kerb) and took a look.

All the big stuff seemed to be connected but it looks like part of a wiring loom was hanging down near the propshaft.

The rear hazards weren't working either.

I think the loom broke and is lying against the prop which is whacking it against the under tray.

But the noise it was making and the thumping under the seat seemed out of total proportion with it being a cable flapping. Is it a kit car thing that you sit so much closer to stuff and with no tin top it is all a lot louder?

Crawled the mile home and might take a peek tonight.

So I just popped my cherry..!

Sort of; you don't have all the layers of damping and sound proofing materials you do on a tin top, and what bushes there are frequently are quite stiff. Plus it's (usually) open, so everything seems magnified.

The loom does typically run along the tunnel, it's got spurs off for reverse gear sender, hand brake sender in the tunnel, then at the back, fuel pump, lights etc.

Not really anything that heavy to make a real banging sound, but if enough loom wacked the tunnel side or something, I guess it might be loud?

Odd one, will await your inspection with interest!

Not a good start with the deflectors John :-(

Oooh... Yes it was definitely the deflectors that caused it so...

Recovery fees

Air ambulance

Counselling

Consequential loss of reputation

I think you owe me £48,367.95

PayPal will be fine..!

• Like 2

Oooh... Yes it was definitely the deflectors that caused it so...

Recovery fees

Air ambulance

Counselling

Consequential loss of reputation

I think you owe me £48,367.95

PayPal will be fine..!

Steve's wind deflectors are a little heavy ...

You may have a chance !

NOT !

• Like 1

Unfortunately I was right (not about Steve's deflectors) the loom got detached from the tunnel wall hit the prop, wrapped round it, snapped and was then pattering the side tunnel.

Looks like the re-wire is on...

Truth be told, I'm even more in love with old skool tech after this... To rip that much electrics out and to still get home is not something a modern motor would survive. And yes it wouldn't happen to a Merc, Lexus blah, blah...

How did the petrol keep pumping..?

Going to the pub to drown my sorrows :cry:  :cry:  :down:

Can somebody do me a massive favour and post a link to a thread about jacking up a Westie from the side?

Or would it be better to get another set of stands and just lift it by all 4 corners. With those Machine Mart locking cam stands I could get it a fair way up.

Bad luck. Taking off the top of the transmission tunnel will give you good access, as will removing the boot box. Probably be able to do 90% of the rewiring this way. I usually just lift either the front, or back end of the car on axle stands, but that's mostly 'cause I only have two :) . Four stands would be fine.

Your car may have a mechanical fuel pump on the engine. The only way I can see it getting home with no electrics at all to the back. Remarkable!

Jen

• Like 1

Your car may have a mechanical fuel pump on the engine. The only way I can see it getting home with no electrics at all to the back. Remarkable!

Jen

He dragged himself home, "He takes a licking and keeps on ticking..."

The Mighty XFlow will not die..!

He dragged himself home, "He takes a licking and keeps on ticking..."

The Mighty XFlow will not die..!

Another mighty Xflow lives to fight another day....

Good luck with the rewire

• Like 1

glad to see the continued use of the monicker "mighty cross-flow" -- my work here is done obi wan…. :d

Get yourself one of these: http://www.sgs-engineering.com/hydraulic-jacks/axle-stands/tjl2jsrx2-low-entry-trolley-jack-four-axle-stands and get it up on all fours...

Looking at those pictures makes me realise that I am overdue a visual check of the tunnel wiring fixings.  Have already had to re-tie-wrap some cabling in that area before...

Bad news that buddy, good job it has a mechanical pump...  now where did I put mine after fitting the electric one  :o

That's amazing, scary, and as far as I know, a first!

That's amazing, scary, and as far as I know, a first!

Cool, I'm special LOL...

Now I am sober again I need to turn my mind to the practical matter of repair.

What do I do, buy a new loom or patch the one I have?

And if it's a case of buying one, where from?

Cheers