MOT

kirkyboy5

Hi guys

after a bit of advice.

Bought a new car last week. It was MOT'd on the day of sale.ONly thing that came back was a broken spring so this was fixed. No other Warnings. 2 days later I hear a scraping noise coming from the driver side front wheel everytime I came to a stop.

I looked at the brakes and the disk was clearly being worn away in just one area. Took it to another garage and it appears that it needed a new disk and pad as the pad had worn out and causing metal and metal contact.

How do I stand as I feel that should have been a fail or warning on the MOT. Also how do I stand legally around this.

Thanks

Daniel

Yes, you should have had a warning from the tester but he would say it passed the  brake test on the rollers at the time of the mot.

You won't get anywhere with this and it's not worth the hassle,  so get it fixed and roll on.

By the way, use  another tester next time.

Disk and Pads are probably standard Cortina items so very cheap and easy to replace.

How would you prove it? The garage will instantly say that you have swapped discs and pads and that they weren't on the car at time of MOT. That's the thing about MOTs, they are only really valid for the very instant that they were tested. Unfortunately, however unlikely it might be that you didn't actually swap discs / pads, it's not something you could ever prove.

Good opportunity to put some new stuff on, maybe even DIY if you've never done it before?

Never (NEVER) trust an MOT done when in the possession of a garage or dealer.

Repairs eat into their profit margins....

In fact, even in a private sale, they could just get a mate to do the MOT.

They'll pass any old ****, knowing that by the time you find out, it'll be 12 months too late to do anything about it.

• Like 2

If he couldnt see the pad was worn out he couldnt fail it

Theyre not always visible with the wheel on

i was told it only has to pass the brake test .condition of pads or discs does not matter any more

i was told it only has to pass the brake test .condition of pads or discs does not matter any more

True that, the Westfield passed with binding front brakes.

They will simply argue that the MOT was carried out as per schedule and the car passed on all points . the MOT is not a service inspection , they don't have to check every service item for wear and condition , only the ones listed on the test agenda . having said that , my mondeo failed because the discs were worn as did my daughters scenic !

strange the tester didnt notice the disks worn on yours , possibly the apprentice did the test and not a pukka mechanic. 

• Like 1

Or it was that typical MOT/Trader situation, where the ticket is given along with an unofficial, verbal "you need to change pads and discs at the front" instruction. And the trader has just ignored it and sold the car.

we had a Nissan in last week for a brake judder

once on the ramp you could see the front x member was gone and I mean gone just a few rusty lumps still attactched to the bottom of the rad , this passed a mot 4 days before coming to us , you could clearly see this when it was on the ground to through the front bumper

Had an advisory for 'Corroded brake pads' on my MX-5 the other day, so I'd assume it could be a fail if they are deemed to be too far gone? I'd had it on track the week before so they can't have been that bad :d