Solar panels and solar water heating

Northwarks

If this was right, it means you might make electricity running a PV, but over all the world is worse off...

I would not be surprised at all.......

It's the same as cars like the Toyota Prius, people think they're saving money and being green, but they're paying over the odds for the car in the first place AND the materials used to make those batteries have been torn out of the ground, transported half way across the planet on ships than burn crude oil (think GPM rather than MPG), manufactured into batteries and transported on said ships again, before being built into cars.

Unfortunately "saving the environment" is just being used as an excuse to spend money on things we don't need, and is ultimately just lining the pockets of the already super rich, whilst leaving behind a damaged planet for our children to inherit.

I'm a big advocate for "make do and mend" and for recycling everyday items into stuff that can be used again, often it's amazing what a lick of paint can do.

Lyonspride,

Totally 1,000% agree with all you have said and I have said the same many times before...

But I am LMAO about a guy who drives a smoke generating mobile oil slick (you do know I say that with love) worrying about saving the planet :p

^^ Well the Westfield is built from a 30 year old car, so there's some recycling for ya ;)

If we all drove 30 year old cars, no matter how uneconomical, no matter how much oil they burn, we'd be having less environmental impact than all these car production plants (and their suppliers). We've gone from cars that lasted 10-15yrs and could be repaired by the home mechanic, to buying a new car every 3 years, cars where nobody ever lifts the bonnet, usually bought on finance and usually on the excuse of saving money.

Selling a £5000 car and spending £10'000 on a new one, to get an extra 10mpg for the next 3 years, then using the environment as an excuse to justify it.

Lyonspride for President..! :yes:  

Please let me take you to a pub and get you squiffy, I bet you are an expert grade 'ranter' :laugh: