Diesel engine.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

What an interesting read.

Wonder if anyone will try batteries before long like the new BMW's

What an interesting read.

Wonder if anyone will try batteries before long like the new BMW's

Also already been done...!

The factory put a lot of time and money into developing a couple of electric projects.

They were even due to take part in the still born electric racer race-series. 

The green all electric powered car they produced (now in private hands) is currently competing in the Speed Series.

Not sure how far it got but there was also a sort of hybrid project; a Westfield with a petrol motor powering the rear wheels as normal, but with dual electric motors driving the front.

At the point the work was being done, as ever, it seems to be the battery technology that was the biggest stumbling block.  The cost was phenomenal, plus the size and weight are a real issue.

This is the green electric car at Stoneleigh in 2011, look at the size of the main battery pack, (inside the large metal box where an engine would normally be)

ZE9T2561.jpg

Don't forget the battery packs under the floor, protected as you can just see by what appears to be a skirt but is actually the side to a box, ground clearance is not good.

Certainly seem to recall the VAG unit needing the bonnet cutting.

Certainly seem to recall the VAG unit needing the bonnet cutting.

BIIIIIIIIIG hole in the bonnet in smokey's link  :)

• Like 1

Hadn't clicked on the link, (otherwise I'd have ended up rereading it all! :d )

The factory put a lot of time and money into developing a couple of electric projects.

They were even due to take part in the still born electric racer race-series.

The green all electric powered car they produced (now in private hands) is currently competing in the Speed Series.

Not sure how far it got but there was also a sort of hybrid project; a Westfield with a petrol motor powering the rear wheels as normal, but with dual electric motors driving the front.

At the point the work was being done, as ever, it seems to be the battery technology that was the biggest stumbling block. The cost was phenomenal, plus the size and weight are a real issue.

This is the green electric car at Stoneleigh in 2011, look at the size of the main battery pack, (inside the large metal box where an engine would normally be)

ZE9T2561.jpg

O/T there are at least two other electric westfield's I've been aware of over the years in addition to that IRacer for the Now defunct EV Cup. There first (which again appears in the R&B book) was a prototype built around a 1990 SE, that had the motor conventionally mounted in the engine bay. The second I only became aware of recently because of a thread on locostbuilders which was the Westfield WISPER (Westfield In Structural Plastics Electric Roadster) http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=193585

The hybrid was a project built with Warwick university and last I saw of that it was for sale on ebay earlier this year less it's hybrid system.

• Like 1

Diesels have come on leaps and bounds from the old smokey transits that needed a squirt of the old magic stuff. A modern one with a DSG gearbox would be quite a machine and seeing that we throw the odd V8 in a westy I can't see the weight being a problem. Low down torque and flicking it through the DSG box could see some quite quick 0 to 60 IMHO.

How about the VW lump with 170bhp for starters, I did look into this LOL

Now whos got a rolling westy they don't want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfZUpLNJpMs

Terry

Ever heard of the saying..

"Just becaurse you can, doesn't mean you should". :suspect:

• Like 1

What about " if it ain't broke don't fix it ".

Ugly....smelly ...noisy.....

Electric......TT Zero.....I love bikes but those bikes......send me to sleep.....

And "if you never try you will never succeed"

I do like to stay positive you know or have you guessed?

Terry

• Like 1