Bicycle advise please fellow members…..

alexander72

sounds good dommo 

Yanto - dont worry I won't be riding furiously… :-) 

Can you really be done for riding under the influence..?

I was just mucking about when I wrote that, is it a genuine offence..?

James, I've been a MTB'er all my life, did the Avalanche Cup in Morzine when I was 16 and still do a lot today. I had three mountain bikes up until a couple of months ago when I needed to free up some capitol for my latest addiction...!

Here's the current iteration of the Avalanche Cup, now called the Megavalanche (it didn't start in the snow when I did it!):

Give me a call if you want any advice, I should be able to point you in the right direction and would be happy to help a fellow biker get the right steed, whether a it's a hard tail, full sus MTB, a hybrid or a racer! Buying a bike is similar to a car in that you get what you pay for and there are certain things to look out for/avoid. Also bike shops are really hit and miss so don't necessarily go for what they tell you, they're not always that clued up.

Speak soon :)

This it what you need James, a Dutch ladies bike. No crossbar means you'll be able to mount your stead easily when a bit soused.

AMSTERDAM_CL3.jpg

• Like 3

I bike to work, with a train journey in the middle, so I have two bikes one at each end.

I'm a big fan of Giant bikes. Good value for money I reckon and some good deals to be had online. I have front suspension only as I find it really helps with the curbs etc on the cycle routes in Cambridge.

For that budget go second hand. Better bike for less money.

I have a s.h. 2007 specialized xc comp. Cost 300 w yrs ago and it does the biz for me

cheers aladdin - thanks mate 

I like that old bike mate Sooty.

BarneyNice Vid - i notice that was all down hill - easy peasy :-)   Ive doone that as well in meribel and lans en vercors - i dont like riding up hill 

Fitness is over-rated. Have you considered electric assistance? You can still pedal, but hills become a doddle, especially after a pint...

IMG_20140831_184534185_zpskqqqbmp8.jpg

Being a Mighty Cross Flow fantasist you clearly need to go vintage, so I would have thought a penny farthing would be perfect! :p:d

Boom tish smeg… :-)

Sorry couldn't resist! :)

Seriously though, was well into my bikes in my youth and there's good advice above.

Most important is bike correctly fits you.

As far as what type of bike (only my personal view unless buying several bikes) - I used full suspension on road regularly with road tyres. You'll get fitter quicker, better for dodgy backs (as I prone to) and put offroad tyres on and you can do knarly downhill as well.

There's very good 2nd hand bikes about.