What to do?

BudSlater

So what happens if they chose to send me back a box of bricks, or the knackered old shocks that they have just taken off and replaced with my refurbed ones? Surely this is fraud and eBay are assisting fraud?

I am intrigued, when you say you sold 'a set' do you mean two or four, and how many have failed?    I find it difficult to believe that multiple shocks have failed at the same time unless inappropriately used.

I think a whole month when you have had no control over how they were used is too long for you to feel, or be held liable. 

I might, in the spirit of Ebay, try and get a feel for how genuine the buyer is (what feedback and how much business) get photographs showing the failed shocks, identify what the shocks were used for, and perhaps, while insisting that you are under no obligation to do so , discuss meeting half way. 

I could really only go on gut feeling, have you been taken for a ride when you bought them?  if not why would they fail? 

Decide what you believe is right, and do it, 

Jim

I sold 2. shocks, 1 has failed. He sounds ok, but seriously, if I buy something second hand from a private individual, the law says it's buyer beware after the 7 days cooling off period. How do I know that they haven't dropped them, or that they are even the same shocks I sold? I sense a battle with eBay on this

Good old eBay. Case raised to say both have now failed and seller wants 100 back but wants to keep them and local repair place has quoted 100 to 'fix them' no evidence provided of damage or legitimate repair quote. Will be calling the repair shop to see what the deal is if I ever get details from them

I just had an issue. I bought two balloon ride tickets. Virgin and groupin say the ticket is for one person only. It is clearly stated it is for two. I raised a case and eBay said there was nothing they could do and to call the police. I said"where is my buyer protection". I then got all the copied and pasted answers but the outcome was they would not do anything and to call the police.

It really sucks that Ebay have to take this stance, but with so many dodgy sellers out there what else can they do?

Unfortunately at the moment, the whole balance just leans toward favouring the buyer and some scum bags out there are taking advantage.

You have to protect yourself to the maximum, take a tonne of photos, make sure the description is 100% accurate and on all 2nd hand goods you need to state condition unknown or words to that effect.

You have to protect yourself to the maximum, take a tonne of photos, make sure the description is 100% accurate and on all 2nd hand goods you need to state condition unknown or words to that effect.

Yep, I do this anyhow, but in this case, the "adjuster" is broken internally which won't show up on pictures.. I'm tempted to tell him to send them back, bet they won't as they are just after money back for something that works fine.......

Just read the message again, now apparently BOTH are broken when a week ago they said that just one was broken, so either they are lying about both being broken or just trying to sway the case in their favour!

I'm on the other end of one with ebay at the moment. Ordered some pipe insulation from a trader on there, due to the way they sell, I had to order 50m + 10m of one size I wanted plus 20m of two other sizes. Boxes arrived, but on checking, I find I only have 50m of the one size. The seller is painfully slow at every step. A week after I contacted them their response was just to tell me the shipping reference number again - no words, just the number. I replied telling them I wasn't disputing that the box had arrived, just that it didn't contain all I had ordered. I offered to take pictures of the boxes and contents so they could see how impossible it would be to actually fit what was missing into said boxes. Another week, "OK, post pictures". Pictures posted...another week and no reply at all. Not sure what to make of it really, presume they think I am lying to do them over, or perhaps this is their normal practice to improve margins. All I know is I didn't receive the amounts I ordered so have given them another day to reply then time to 'escalate' it for all the good that will proably do. Meanwhile, I had to get the missing stuff elsewhere to do the job.

I've had the odd thing with buying - ordered 2 things, 1 arrives, a good one recently, ordered some Fernox F3 and F1, the stuff arrived but the F1 bottle was damp on the outside. Quick check and I see that the seal had been broken and some was missing. Huh??  Told the seller, clearly explained that the F3 was fine but the F1 had been tampered with, they sent me both!

Comes down to trust ultimately doesn't it.  I don't often sell on ebay I must confess - far too many scumbags out there. Not had any issues to date, but there's always that risk isn't there.

Hope you can get a satisfactory resolution to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Update to this, ebay said to send them back to me so "we start from the beginning" so I can resell them..... Even though, if they have actually been broken, then I will end up with a potentially broken set of shocks (maybe even a different set altogether!).

But nothing has shown up yet, happy days!

Update to this, ebay said to send them back to me so "we start from the beginning" so I can resell them..... Even though, if they have actually been broken, then I will end up with a potentially broken set of shocks (maybe even a different set altogether!).

But nothing has shown up yet, happy days!

That sounds better than the guy getting to keep them and paying nothing for them. But feel your pain.

The good news is the chinese Alibaba site is going to start doing an eBay, they are a massive business and hopefully will give a good alternative to eBay.

The good news is the chinese Alibaba site is going to start doing an eBay, they are a massive business and hopefully will give a good alternative to eBay.

Dunno... Their customer support is hard to get hold of.

Every time I Wang them, I got the Wong number...