Recommend me a new mobile phone

B.RAD

Samsung Galaxy Xcover for me...really good phone and came out handy when i droped it in the sea.....waterproof :)

I'm in the same market, but currently on iPhone 4. love lots about the phone, but hate the way it ties you in to Apple. Contract ended and I have been on SIM only for about a year. Must say that's a great way to do it. What is Giff Gaff's coverage like as i use Vodafone at moment which is very good out in the wilds where we are ?

Nick, in my experience, you'll not beat Vodaphone for coverage where you are - between me n the missus, we've tried most of them and Vodaphone always seemed to work where others didn't once you get out your way. Having said that, Im on EE, but that's fine as I'm in the Toon ;)

Nick, in my experience, you'll not beat Vodaphone for coverage where you are - between me n the missus, we've tried most of them and Vodaphone always seemed to work where others didn't once you get out your way. Having said that, Im on EE, but that's fine as I'm in the Toon ;)

Thanks, that's what I thought. Oh well, nice to think about a change.

Thanks for all the input everyone, much appreciated. Conveniently my work phone has just got changed from a blackberry to an iPhone 5c and must admit I'm now tempted by an iPhone, the camera seems to have improved massively. The sim only deal sounds great though, so I might look in to how cheaply I can pick up an old iPhone for. I filled out the 'upgrade' form on vodafones website yesterday lunchtime, still waiting for a call back. I'll let you know what I decide!

Cheers maties.

Another vote for Moto G. Bought it SIM free 16GB and chucked my £7 a month 3 SIM in it. 300 minutes 3000 texts and 1 GB of data is more than I would ever use. Oh and it runs Strava beautifully much better than my old Samsung Galaxy did.

Just needs adding here......

If you need a sim deal and don't mind sending off for cashback then you can find good deals for 1.50 month with a rubbish phone thrown in !

Iphone 4 is a great all round phone if you dont mind having to go through itunes

Cameras pretty good too

I saw car phone warehouse doing them for £18 pm on orange a few weeks back

I'm a Samsung and very impressed with them, great camera too. I have seamless sync for mail.

But I'm sure all the better Androids and iPhone won't disappoint.

For 'area' coverage definitely Vodafone or O2 services best.

• 2 months later...

Quick update as I know you've all been on the edge of your seats for a conclusion to this fascinating thread!

Thanks to the great ideas shared here, I followed the cheap handset route and asked my mate for his old HTC phone. I downloaded the Racechrono app and brilliant news - it works off GPS so doesn't need a sim. I then contacted Vodafone and was able to upgrade my current contract to a sim only deal for £9.50 a month - flippin' bargain!

So I get to keep my Nokia with its great camera and all the other features I love, and now have a knock-about old phone I can use in the car for the Racechrono app! Happy days!

Thanks for all the responses :)

Yeh, stick with old stuff.  iPhones are over rated and overpriced.

One thing I have noticed over the last couple of years is Vodafone have been reducing the power and number of cell sites around here.    EE are the to be brand leader soon when it comes to coverage.

• Like 1