MOT Fail Renault Megane

pistonbroke

Daughters 2004 megane scenic just failed its MOT on the filler flap seal ,

I thought this was really just a dust cap , not the actual "filler cap seal " which is inside the filler pipe .

We been quoted £67 plus labour for fitting  a complete  fuel flap as the seal is not available seperately 

Any thoughts on the matter appreciated 

Thanks 

I'm with Ash, I don't do French, or Italian for that matter, or BECs :laugh:

I think your MOT person is looking for work and hopefully this info is up to date.

Taken from the MOT testers manual.

Requirements
no leaks, fuel cap fastens correctly and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened. Make sure the key is available.

Fuel system

Test procedure

The fuel system inspection is a very important part of the MOT test. The inspector will examine the entire fuel system for safety and potential leak sources. The inspector will look around the vehicles fuel tank and check for signs of advanced corrosion or any evidence of leaks. The inspector will follow all fuel lines along the vehicle looking for evidence of damage and leak sources. 

Any leak in the fuel system is an MOT failure. The inspection follows the fuel system from the fuel tank right to the carburettor or fuel injector. Any fuel leak that is found will result in an MOT failure.

Common faults

• Fuel leaks. Any fuel leak will result in an MOT test failure. Not only does a fuel leak present a fire risk, but it can also cause a hazard for other road users if fuel is spilled onto the road surface.
  • Incorrect fuel cap. To pass an MOT test the fuel system must be complete with a locking fuel filler cap. If the cap can't be locked then the vehicle will fail the MOT test.
  • Fuel tank condition. If the fuel tank is in a bad condition this can often result in an MOT failure. For example advanced corrosion or serious road damage may cause the tank to be unsafe.

No mention of filler flap.

If they are being awkward ask to be shown where in the MOT manual it says this part is to be tested as part of the fuel system checks.

Hope this helps.

Is it a fuel flap plus a separate cap for the tank, or is it one of the new style combined filler flaps that actually seals the tank when it closes. (My Ranger has one of these; no separate cap, just the flap itself.)

No Dave its a seperate fuel cap underneath the flap , the cap is a flush mount and locked electronically by a solenoid . the flap has a rubber seal which covers the cap when the flap /door is closed . 

I managed to find a rubber seal  from the scrappy , have fitted it and am now on my way to the MOT man to get the certificate  and then will be carefully explaining to him why he is an idjit !

Thanks Jonah that explains all , I will print it off to show the MOT chappy  where he went wrong .

To all the other idgits who offered advice of one kind or another , thanks for  all the help , most appreciated , nice to know I am not the only one out there who needs a certificate :)  

They have the seal built into the flap which seals against the body so no separate cap

So it is a fail

Theres loads on ebay - all colours

The seal on the flap is a dust cover - there is a rotating device inside the filler nect that open when you push the nozzle into the neck itself.