road tax

scott_prelit now westfield_bumble

My car was registered in 1987 but on the old style mot cetificates it says approximate year of 1st use and states 1971. Is there anyway which i doubt that i could wrangle free road tax because of this :oops: :oops: :oops::laugh:

What does your V5c say?

1987 on reg document and correctly registered as a westfield.

I'm guessing the free vehicle tax isn't going to work then.  Such a shame that the money-grabbing bstards stopped the "rolling timeline" which meant anything older than 25 years (or whatever the cut-off point was) fell into the historic vehicle classification.

I personally think that anyone who maintains a 25 year old vehicle up to MOT standard should have the vehicle tax as a historic vehicle as both an incentive and a reward. In pure statistical terms I doubt it would put a huge hole in the treasury receipts but hey-ho.

Don't get me started on incorporating it into the fuel price and saving millions and millions on admin costs (although clearly these will fall in October).

Where abouts in North East are you Scott?  I hail from Shiremoor / Whitley Bay area.

Hi Craig I'm chester-le-street area. I've been through your way all day at tynemouth catching some rays on the beech.

Not a new car Martin just a bit of a garage find. 600 mile since 2008- 7 or 8 engine builds since then 4 or 5 by an engine builder who I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy ( simple bad errors. Bolts not tightened on vernier pulley, new pistons in and didn't check cylinder volumes. It was off the gauge at 300psi and counting) Thought i was sorted last year then i span a cam bearing. Just trying to get sorted for next year. Mot passed on friday and the mot'er put the idea in to my head that I should get free tax according to old mot certificates

Such a shame that the money-grabbing bstards stopped the "rolling timeline" which meant anything older than 25 years (or whatever the cut-off point was) fell into the historic vehicle classification.

It was reintroduced again at the last budget :)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vehicle-excise-duty-40-year-rolling-exemption-for-classic-vehicles

• Like 1

A 40 year old rolling exemption. I suppose that redresses things slightly although I've now got a 38 year waiting period....

I stand corrected.