So much for sleep and sanity...

Captain Colonial

...our little 3-year-old very pedigree West Highland Terrierist, Sophie, who some of you met at Stoneleigh, has just started the early stages of labour and should give birth to her litter of pups in the dining room before the end of the weekend.

2012-10-13%2013.26.11.jpg

Then it's eight weeks of round the clock insanity and sleepless nights while we keep an eye on things and step in where needed, and also finding good homes for all but one of the pups.  (PM me if you want to discuss buying one and can assure me you'll give it the loving home it deserves.)

SWMBO is keeping one of the pups, so we'll have two little gorgeous loons running about the place.

So stay tuned for a Westie build thread with a difference - I'll keep you all informed. :t-up:

• Like 1

Congrats!

We had her mated on 1st June...or at least we tried to do so.  Sophie was not impressed at all ("you want to put that WHERE?") and tried to rip the face off her multi-champion sire.  Got there at last but phew, talk about your reluctant maiden!  On the way out, she got into an argument with three cows - one was unimpressed, the second one looked scarily murderous at all of us, and the third one ran away.

Hmmm...now where will I put the VIN on the puppies?

Another Westie build thread :)

• Like 2

Humm, puppies for sale eh? This thread looks like a thinly concealed bulk buy :d:laugh: are you a registered trader :oops::p

• Like 2

I once got coerced into helping with the mating of one of our Deerhound dogs. To give you some idea of the problems encountered, at one stage the b***h was on a couple of pallets as things were not lining up too well. If I was ever to do this again I would hire a wetsuit. Hopefully this leaves you with a mental image that is difficult to erase.

Sophie gave birth to a healthy puppy in the early hours of Friday morning!

Just the one in the litter, so little Abigail will be staying.  :d 

Think Scott's almost as shattered as Sophie!

Thanks for dong the update Dave, much appreciated! :)

Early is right, born at 230 AM, but what an experience, just amazing.  Abigail was crawling with 30 minutes, crying within 45 minutes, and nursing within 90 minutes.  They double their weight in a week - she was 6 ounces at birth, which is a big 'un and may explain why there was only one puppy.

Sophie gave me a very long night last night - she overheated and started twitching because her uterus was contracting back to normal size, which is apparently quite painful, so it was pretty stressful and upsetting for everyone, especially at 4 AM, but she's ok today.

Anyway, hoping to get my first sleep since Wednesday night tonight with any luck.  Will post photos of Abigail ASAP.

Congrats, Grandpa  :t-up:

• Like 2

welcome to my world wuv

Congrats, best wishes to all and good luck with catching up on the sleep.

• Like 1

Well, got a few more hours of sleep Saturday and Sunday nights, about half of what I need but I'll take it where I can! :t-up:

A couple of quick piccies taken with a lousy phone camera in a dark space and Photoshopped a bit - Abigail and Sophie together about 4 hours after her birth on Friday::

2014-08-01%2006.27.21.jpg

And last night about 6 PM:

2014-08-03%2018.13.49.jpg

Both still doing well (better than us!) and so far (touch wood) it's on schedule, Abigail thriving and gaining weight at about 10 grams a day (188 grams total last night). :love:

Will continue to bore you all senseless unless you put me and this thread on your Ignore list. :laugh:

Until you posted those pics I was starting to feel sorry for you and your lack of sleep.

But in the first picture Sophie looks utterly exhausted, I think she gets my sympathy from now on..!

• Like 1

Build update:

Daily weigh-in piccie from last night - neither party are terribly impressed but it's important to do it so you know if there's any issues you need to address for either mother, puppy or both:

2014-08-04%2020.08.55.jpg

Abbie's nose is changing from pink to black now, and we may need to trim her nails soon as sharp claws on mummy's tummy isn't helpful!