Clan McWesty - 10th August - POSTPONED!

Rab (bombero) Reid

POSTPONED! This run has been postponed due to impending bad weather and a number of guys dropping out. Look out for threads for runs later inthe month!

Almost into August already so potentially only a couple more months to get some good blats in!

I have it in the diary for Killin on Sunday 10th August, so who's up for this? It doesn't strictly have to be Killin if anyone wishes to provide another suggestion but this has always been a good run out with the Clan! Meeting venues and timings will be posted once interest is shown.

Names so far:

bombero

Hornet600

Matta (tbc)

dpeffers

theprisoner

Note that there is also an NE Scotland run taking place on Sunday 3rd August - view and respond on separate thread: http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic/109626-ne-scotland-meet-3rd-aug/

Yup, I'm in. Assuming my car's back of course.

Matt

Yup, I'm in. Assuming my car's back of course.

Matt

Spoke with a VX enthusiast in the car park at the airshow. He stated that the redtops were prone to oil leaks and you'll be lucky to completely stop it on every occasion. Suggests a bonded gasket from a 2.0ltr 8V and shorter screws. I suggest a zetec! ;-)
  • Like 1

Suggestion: My favourite run in that part of the world(and it may not be everyone's taste) is by taking the old Electricity board road over to Glen Lyon. It has some stunning views. Take the main road East out of Killin A 827 then at a place called Edramucky turn up the single track road to Ben Lawyers car park. The sign that says the road ahead is not salted should be ignored of course at this time of year. Take the old SEB road  towards Glem Lyon to a place called Bridge of Balgie where you will find a little tea room that serves freshly cooked scones and jam. Then after lunch take the same B road to Fearnan then the A827 to Aberfeldy. This scenic loop is wasted if the weather is not perfect but you can decide on the day.

+ve's lots of good views and good scones

-ve's Sheep **** on your car, narrow single track road with no speeding possible till you get back to the A 827.

Hope this helps

Spoke with a VX enthusiast in the car park at the airshow. He stated that the redtops were prone to oil leaks and you'll be lucky to completely stop it on every occasion. Suggests a bonded gasket from a 2.0ltr 8V and shorter screws. I suggest a zetec! ;-)

Yup, tried that already. Turns out the sump flange wasn't flat, so it would never have sealed. Simon had to machine a chunk off and sump now ok but oil pump out next to cure leak at the front. I have had a red top that didn't leak, although I know they're not easy to make oil-tight. Zetec? Good as a paperweight I suppose.... :p

• Like 1

Yes I hope to meet up for the run. Ignition keys sorted.

Now have vibration/noise/harshness at about 2500 revs in gear or in neutral. Haven't spotted anything rubbing to cause vibration.

Trying to undo gearbox filler plug to check oil level. Factory said use 3/8 inch square drive but mine slips so I guess hole is likely 10mm square and I am getting tool ordered off the net.

Car is zetec 2 ltr and gearbox is type 9. I tried wscc type 9 searches but did not find the info. i needed.

Anyone come across this vibration before and can anyone confirm the correct tool for the type 9 gearbox filler plug?

Cheers.

Are you saying that you're going, Alastair?

Now have vibration/noise/harshness at about 2500 revs in gear or in neutral. Haven't spotted anything rubbing to cause vibration.

Trying to undo gearbox filler plug to check oil level. Factory said use 3/8 inch square drive but mine slips so I guess hole is likely 10mm square and I am getting tool ordered off the net.

Car is zetec 2 ltr and gearbox is type 9. I tried wscc type 9 searches but did not find the info. i needed.

Anyone come across this vibration before and can anyone confirm the correct tool for the type 9 gearbox filler plug?

Cheers.

Donald, have you stuck this query under Tech Talk?

Good shout Rab.

Have now posted my query under tech talk as you suggested.

Cheers.

. Zetec? Good as a paperweight I suppose....

At least it won't leave oil all over your paperwork!!!!!!

Seriously Matt hope you get it fixed soon mate

• Like 1

Hi chaps. We all set for a run this Sunday? Rab we could meet up at livi then meet Ali and mat at Linlithgow then up to aberfoyle and meet the rest if any?

Proposed route for Sunday,

Meeting at Aberfoyle or Balloch. (Will go with the majority on that one.)

For Aberfoyle, the rear car park of the Scottish Wool Centre, or for Balloch, the Argyll car factor car park.

• Either meeting place for 10am
  • Heading north up the Dukes pass
  • Along the A84 to Lochearnhead
  • Crieff
  • Aberfeldy
  • Glen Lyon (theprisoners suggested route)
  • Killin

Can stop at either the cafe suggested or killin hotel or the falls of dochart Inn for lunch. I dont mind calling and booking any of them.

This is just a suggestion folk and if someone else had plans then feel free to ingore it.

• Like 1