240v generator - any advise welcome

alexander72

Hey folks,  I need a 240v generator for horse lorry/race truck I am fitting out.  Needs to be quiet for horses and evenings in the paddock but mighty enough to run my sound system, compressor, cooker (obviously) and hot tub.....

Any ideas or recommendations please  ? 

James

I would also look at inverters and keep the battery consumption to a minimum - ie gas cooker

There was  a chap (username MW1) based Warwick on here selling 1500W units that had come out of NOKIA vans.  Very nice bits of kit.

David,

Thankyou - thats a good idea but I need to run a steamer for the horses hay and there are seldom hook ups at events for horses.  

Ergo I need the generator foy the steamer and woudl rather the youths are cooking on electric induction than changing gas canisters.

I will perhaps try the MW1 man as well as id like an inverter for charging stuff and running lights and so on without firing up the mighty generator.

I could always attach a big alternator to the crossflow and use that for secondary power generation?   :p

I could always attach a big alternator to the crossflow and use that for secondary power generation?   :p

Just carry a rolling road around with you as well, use that as the generator, then people will pay you to power your electrical stuff :d

Good call AdamR - I will fettle a mobile rolling road to fit in the back of the horse lorry :-) A veritable mobile corss flow powered generation station :-) 

• Like 1

you need a Scammell Mammoth short wheelbase generator rig to tow the horse box and the mighty crossflow

The BMW is all well and good but surely only something mammoth should be towing something mighty

Crikey - I worked at a London Brick Site in the 80's - what a beauty !!!

James i could build you a steam powered one which would be silky smooth and very quiet. you will need feed it with coal and water constantly though but will also give u a nice central heating system

no need to make .. plenty for sale

http://prestonservices.co.uk/item/ashworth-parker-generator-set/

Ashworth-Parker_10KW_2.jpg

I agree you don't want anything noisey disturbing others in the paddock.  A steam engine would be a good focal point.

I am sure Phil can pop over to Preston to check it over and put down a deposit

it would also power my hot tub trailer idea  :t-up:

if you used an oil fed burner you could run it off the xflow catch tank