Helmets

clansman

As I have a track day/driver tuition booked next month I had better get a helmet, so have been searching on here and on-line and came across these http://www.blackcatracewear.com/

Has anybody used or heard any reports on their helmets good or bad ?

Got to admit looking at the CF one " 50% off 

Hi Campbell. Never came across these but as an ex biker would add that I would not recommend buying a helmet over the web as no matter what you buy the MOST important thing is that the helmet is the correct fit for your head. Next time your home pop into a local motorbike dealers and try on whatever catches your eye. Mind and get a full face one for those applecross midges

• Like 2

It amazed me, (not being a biker, and never having gone shopping for a lid before), just how different the fit is of all the different makes - even though you're looking at the (supposedly) same size helmet.

Some felt just right, some a bit loose in key areas, and some felt so tight and put so much pressure on certain parts of your head, they'd have left me with a migraine inside half an hour.

There really is no substitute for visit somewhere with lots of different brands, and trying them on.

Cheers guys ...yeah it would be much better to try it first but looking at that CF on at 50% is tempting, I'll watch it for the next week and a bit and then go for their "try before you buy" as I head home and hopefully catch the last few days of the offer. As they say its all in the timing !!!!

I tried loads on a Stoneleigh Race Retro show earlier this year before I settled on what was the most comfortable. As Dave says, they are all very slightly different and some were just uncomfortable!

I would definitely advise trying before buying

Have to agree - been wearing the them for 30+yrs now and fit is the most important thing.

I like the look of some Shoei helmets but they just never seemed to fit my shape head whatever size I tried, but my Arai fits like a glove.

Having bought a HedTec helmet that leaves me in agony after 30 mins or so i can only agree with the above.

Have to agree - been wearing the them for 30+yrs now and fit is the most important thing.

I like the look of some Shoei helmets but they just never seemed to fit my shape head whatever size I tried, but my Arai fits like a glove.

I always had the opposite problem, really wanted an Arai but found the Shoei much more comfortable!!!

Just to echo previous comments, as the fit depends on the shape of your head you must try a helmet on before purchase. Unfortunately there are still pitfalls as wind noise, draughts, rattling visor etc can be an issue so really a road test is often the only way to establish some of these facts.

I always had the opposite problem, really wanted an Arai but found the Shoei much more comfortable!!!

My mate was the same, he had a "Shoei head" and I have an "Arai head" - at the time, he really wanted an Arai and I wanted a Shoei - but now love Arais (on my third one) as every size 58 I ever try just 'fits' perfectly (on my head anyway!)

• Like 1

Here's an interesting point, we went to a livery (goes great with onionys) to get a new riding hat for my daughter. The lady in teh shop took around an hour to get one that fitted well, going through all they had to offer. When they found one that was a good fit, she made my daughter wear it in the shop for 20 minutes so it warmed up to her head temperature. This showed that when warmed up, it didn't fit so well!

Eventually after going through this process a few times, we came away with a well fitted, comfortable and safe hat.

Wag

I agree with the 'try one on' consensus, but went against that anyway ( :laugh: ) and bought a Hedtec carbon off the 'net (same as the Black Cat), thinking I could always return it. Luckily it fits well, but isn't as 'nice' as the previous lid I had nicked, however that was another 50% more expensive and not carbon, so it was to be expected...

Interesting point about letting the head get hot - I can see how that makes a huge difference with a very 'hard' helmet, maybe not so much when you have quite a lot of padding. On a similar note I've found that how much hair I current have makes a difference to helmet fitment, and certainly a balaclava does too!

Well I've always been medium 58 so I bought a Hedtec medium off the net as it's fire proof sprint legal and it fits great

Not good advice though you should try before you buy

On the road I wear my favorite AGV or my wooly hat as it's worn for much longer and gets knocked around on seat and cage getting in and out

With most carbon lids costing £2000+, and certified to 8860, I'd be asking why this is so cheap.  Personally I'd lose the carbon bling and buy a conventional lid from a company with more track record/invested in the brand.  

Speaking of which, there is no Black Cat Racewear registered at Companies House, instead Black Cat Racewear appears to be a trading style of these guys http://www.drivingsales.co.uk/ ... not exactly GPR or Demon Tweeks in terms of sector focus!

With most carbon lids costing £2000+, and certified to 8860, I'd be asking why this is so cheap.  Personally I'd lose the carbon bling and buy a conventional lid from a company with more track record/invested in the brand.  

Speaking of which, there is no Black Cat Racewear registered at Companies House, instead Black Cat Racewear appears to be a trading style of these guys http://www.drivingsales.co.uk/ ... not exactly GPR or Demon Tweeks in terms of sector focus!

Mmmmmm 

With most carbon lids costing £2000+, and certified to 8860

I'm wondering if it's a typo in their advert or whether there's more to it but they are quoting the helmet as certified to 8858-2010 whereas the correct FIA / MSA standard for motorsports would be 8860-2010 ???