Le Mans Classic

jonjh1964

Just got back from a weekend away with the Dorset WSCCers and my son James at the Le Mans Classic and what an experience.........

At the ferry in Poole, so many cars of all marks in the early morning sun looking forward to the weekend,

The drive through France, warm welcomes from the locals, a few of the convoy getting experience of "La priorité à droite‎" - luckily Westfields have good brakes, finding out how difficult it is to keep more than 3 cars in convoy!

Driving the public sections of the track on Friday morning, lunch with Petrolheads, nights out in Arnage, paying a lot for beer, feeling the need to eat unhealthy food late at night/early in the morning,

The Le Mans Classic - what an event - even with very changeable weather, cars from the 30s to 70s but still driven on and beyond the limit, the paddock area, racing in the dark with awesome noise through the Grandstand area - 24 hrs split into 1 hour races x 3 for each of the age groups.

Campsite with a many groups, Ferraris, Mustangs, European RSs, Lotus, Jags, TVRs MX5s etc, beautifully customised American 50s cars and 6 Westfields plus an Aston - lots of banter and admiration.

The drive home, again the enthusiasm of the locals, stop off at the D-Day beaches followed by a not so enjoyable night drive from Poole to Yeovil.

Strongly recommended to other Westfield owners, we did see another couple over the weekend - one even making it into the on circuit display area...

• Like 1

What campsite did you stay in was there a good atmosphere an plenty of partying or is it more subdued than the 24hr? I've been thinking about going to the classic for the last couple of years but was worried I would miss the party atmosphere, even though I would love to see the classics racing

Stayed at Valan http://motorsport-tours.com/detail.asp?TourID=MST100013 which is by the Le Mans-Arnage airport - the site was relatively small with 70+ staying rather than the 100+ and the Classic not the full on party of the 24hr.  We walked into Arnage which was 20-30mins away on Thursday & Friday nights, it was quiet on the Thursday to be fair we didn't get there until 10ish, but there was a good atmosphere with plenty of people and cars cruising up and down on the Friday without some of the hassle associated with Arnage/UK registered cars at the 24hr.  Spend Saturday/Sunday mostly on the circuit, the site had a band on Sunday and we emptied all the beer and wine stock between all of us.

Must admit we were talking about trying the classic so may 2016 will be the year for all of us to go, sure we could leave our gear there after 24hr as we use a private site, need to get planning!

There seemed to be very few Westfields there, and yes, it is far more subdued than the 24 hours, but I think there are better classic events in the UK - this is quantity, not quality.  And too many Caterhams

Were you in convoy with a few yellow west fields and an Aston? I passed a group of Westfields and ended up behind them for a while whilst coming back towards the coast yesterday afternoon. I was in my blue vx220. It was a good trip. Could have done with better weather over the weekend though.

Yes that was us - saw a VX220 so was probably you. Weather was okay while we were driving but Sunday morning was a real wash out