Westfield Newbie!

Pond Dipper

Dont know about accuracy as theres a few different speedo drives fitted to a t9 for various applications

I would carefully remove it from the back of the speedo so that its visible from the drivers seat and either jack up the rear and drive it in 2nd gear or take it for a spin round the block to see if the inner cable spins

If it does then the speedo is at fault

If it doesnt you then have to peel the carpet back to where it passes through the tunnel and make sure its firmly connected to the gearbox by a circlip

If it isnt,connect it

If it is,dissconnect it and manually turn the inner cable at one end and see if the other end turns

If it doesnt its the cable

If it does its the drive

The part that drives the speedo is run by a plastic ring that sits over the output shaft of the gearbox

They can break and sometimes slip out of place

I seem to remember there was a knack to putting them back in place but it been along time since i was clutching sierras etc

Let us know how you get on

Right, I think I've found the problem with the speedo!

Tried Blue Ass Fly's method and sure enough the cable doesn't turn when jacked up, in 2nd gear and cable disconnected from speedo end. Therefore it's the cable or the drive at the gearbox end.

Car on axle stands looked underneath to find that the cable entry into the T9 gearbox (Sierra 2.0l 5 speed) is at 90 degrees to the drive shaft line and the cable comes out and has been bent through 90 degrees alongside the inside of the tunnel, all in about 50mm of cable length. This has no doubt broken or seized the inner cable.

What I need to know is what is the preferred route for the cable? As I don't want to fit another cable and have the same problem.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Here ya go, one possible source for solutions like a 90 degree joint:

Click

Guess the other solution could be to convert to an electronic speed rather than mechanical. Not sure of the cost of conversion though.

Mine comes straight through i to the car and gently curves forwards and upwards

It does make the carpet stick out a little but not enough to get in the way or look unsightly

It looks as old as the hills so it must be happy there

Thanks B.A.F., just pulled the carpets out as having read some bits 'n' pieces, believed there should be an access hole in the tunnel panel for this, as you described, coming through into the foot well and then up to the speedo.

There is a small (1" to 1 1/2" dia) hole in the tunnel covered with a plate and 3 almost inaccessible screws. You can also see the speedo cable through this hole!

But......, because the gearbox was changed the hole is not now opposite the speedo cable entry into the gearbox. So whoever fitted the gearbox just forced the speedo cable round a torturous bend alongside the gearbox and the tunnel side and up though the engine bay, past the pedal box and back through the bulkhead into the speedo. No wonder it packed up!

Going to have to re-think this one.

p.s. I'll bet that the gearbox oil filler doesn't line up on the opposite side of the tunnel as well. ???

Just found a bit out of a Westfield assembly instructions book from the era...

It says that the Type 9 speedo access hole should be drilled 17" from the front on the offside tunnel side panel as opposed to the Cortina gearbox speedo access hole which was 9" from the front.

Does this sound correct? i.e. the speedo offtake was 8" further back on the T9?

Anyone with experience of these 2 gearboxes out there?

Good that you found the issue

Fwiw mine comes into the car,along and up behind the dash

Ive seen some go through into the engine bay and back

Bear in mind that the gearbox might not be exactly to westfield measurements if its a swap

If the engines a bit further back so will be the box

If the carpets off the tunnel you could whip the top off and see exactly where it passes through

Ypu want the access hole spot on to be able to get the circlip in and out