Police priorities

Graham0127

What a strange country we live in.

Went for an early morning blat with some bike mates. Roads were clean and dry after heavy rain last night and sun with a nice breeze from dawn.

Only one stretch of road ,which is normally a bit greasy, was dreadful..DEADLY!

Along this fast twisty road used by bikers and fast car drivers most Sunday mornings was a police check point. They were stopping every bike and going over them with a fine toothed comb. They weren't interested in speeding noisy little plastic cars.

The DEADLY bit of road,in a damp tree covered 'alley' was covered in diesel...at least 300 yards and they didn't want to know.....worst bit...they would have driven through it enroute. At least a dozen coppers on bikes and in cars......beggars belief.

To rub salt in the wound, they seemed like salesmen, selling bike safe courses. Not interested in the state of the roads or potentially lethal situations 4 minutes up the road.

Makes me sick !

You firstly need to understand the political pressures placed upon the Police (and Fire) to hit and maintain targets. These targets aren't set by the Police/Fire but by Ministers and community partnerships, which are focused on community safety as one of their top priorities.

Bike safety (some Forces call it Bike Safety Week), and whilst you Matt feel that (1) they ignored you and (2) they were targeting bikes, it's all to do with targets unfortunately. Additionally, if there's been a spike in bike incidents in that area, then the Police will focus on informing and educating those that use the route.

This road has been used regularly by loads of us for years and thankfully accidents have become fewer.

Residents probably complain, so old bill have to be seen to do something.......so surprise surprise, whilst they're at it ( doing naff all), why not sell some Bike Safe days and make some money.

As for targets, surely clearing a diesel spill would meet some target or other...........oh no, wait till someone gets killed and we'll spend £50,000 finding who spilt it and prosecute them. Hooray one crime solved and successfully prosecuted !

And Fire Service targets don't get me started.....daren't suggest they clear it up.....they may have cars to service or volleyball games to finish......that's if they're not off sick ! Or busy planning their next strike....oh dear I may have to work 'till I'm 60.

• Like 1

along this fast twisty road used by bikers and fast car drivers most Sunday mornings was a police check point. 

Answered your own question as to why they were there??

The DEADLY bit of road,in a damp tree covered 'alley' was covered in diesel...at least 300 yards and they didn't want to know.....worst bit...they would have driven through it enroute. At least a dozen coppers on bikes and in cars......beggars belief.

If a dozen coppers on bikes had safely negotiated it then it surely wasn't that deadly??

The public roads are there for transport not for the 'selfish few' who think they are a race track then cause mayhem when they have an accident - the first part of advanced driving/riding is that the driver/rider should asses the conditions correctly - if the road is greasy/deisel spill then you should slow down accordingly and you should never be driving/riding in a manner when these conditions take you by surprise.

The Public Services of this Country may well get sick of those that criticise them when they are the reason that they waste so much time clearing up the mess of others who are selfish enough to drive/ride beyond their own abilities.

Just an alternative view  ???

• Like 1

Thank you Graham for your blinkered view of the Fire Service and we all seemed to have wronged you at some point for your caustic generalisation.

Yes, I'm in the Fire Service and your opinion of us doesn't surprise me, but sorry to disappoint you but I've never serviced my car whilst on duty - I've known of some that do .. but I know mechanics who work on their cars during their break too (as an example or are you suggesting no-one else bends their time at work??). Volleyball may be seen as 'play time' but it's part of the fitness programme, especially now that firefighters have to maintain their fitness to that of a 20yo until they're 60. If the Public are happy to be rescued by a 60yo then no worries (you'll find a similar stance in the Armed Forces).

I voted against the strike as did a large proportion of firefighters outside the metropolitans of London, Manchester, West Mids, etc. In fact, Scotland have decided not to support any further strikes north of the border!

We're disliked by many .. .. until they need us! I'm sure those that I've had the honour of being a part of saving and their families have a different view to yours. However, we're all entitled to our own opinions regardless of how little fact is in it!

Common misconception #1: "Firefighters go to bed whilst at work on nightshifts!"

Fact: The government refuses to pay firefighters for shift work but impose a flat rate of pay so agreed to allow for restrooms during periods of stand down.

Common misconception #2: (unknown MP) "Firefighters get a good pension. Any other public servant would have to pay twice as much to get the same package!"

Fact: That's true .. because firefighters DO pay twice as much right now. My current contribution is 14.7% soon to rise to 15.3%. Average public service contributions are 7.4%. My return? Well, that's to remain the same, so I'll be paying more for less.

Apologies for long reply but I'm p******** off that my 20+ years of dedicated contribution is marred by blinkered generalisation of the whole Service. I work damn hard and sacrificed much to get where I am!!

• Like 1

Well, my mate has a senior position in a Fire Station.....wears a white helmet and waves his finger. Admits he does sweet fa .

Finds any excuse to have a sick day. Was even off with stress after seeing a motorist killed....surely that goes with the job....absolutely awful, but if soldiers had weeks off after seeing someone killed we'd have no one on the front line.

When they work they do a very good job and for that we are grateful, but most guys I know in the service , are in it for a cushy time.

Often doing two jobs and running it from their place of work.....YES...I have been called several times about AstroTurf by a fireman on duty. If the service doesn't pay a good enough wage then change careers....not take opportunities from others.

Sorry if all this p..... You off and you and your watch may be the exception, but this is my view.....only MY view.

Answered your own question as to why they were there??

If a dozen coppers on bikes had safely negotiated it then it surely wasn't that deadly??

The public roads are there for transport not for the 'selfish few' who think they are a race track then cause mayhem when they have an accident - the first part of advanced driving/riding is that the driver/rider should asses the conditions correctly - if the road is greasy/deisel spill then you should slow down accordingly and you should never be driving/riding in a manner when these conditions take you by surprise.

The Public Services of this Country may well get sick of those that criticise them when they are the reason that they waste so much time clearing up the mess of others who are selfish enough to drive/ride beyond their own abilities.

Just an alternative view  ???

The diesel made the road deadly....

The police should make the roads safe for all motorists, not just ones that like to drive fast on a Sunday morning.Not waste time and effort slapping wrists and selling BikeSafe days. Nick speeders, dangerous and other idiot drivers/riders..not Motorcyclists who have loud exhausts, small number plates or tinted visors. I was in my car so I wasn't affected, but bet all the riders stopped....and yes they were stopping EVERY single one feels outraged.

Behaviour like this will never endear the police to motorists.

Again....My view !

Love this forum......prepares me for the week ahead.......

Not waste time and effort slapping wrists and selling BikeSafe days. Nick speeders, dangerous and other idiot drivers/riders.

Personally I feel 'education' is far more beneficial than just a Penalty Notice

Was even off with stress after seeing a motorist killed....surely that goes with the job

Dealing with 'macabre' sights is part of the emergency services role but they are human beings as well - just because they do that job does not make them immune to emotional trauma.

.not Motorcyclists who have loud exhausts, small number plates or tinted visors

So if they can't 'nick them', slap their wrists or 'educate them' what should the Police do with these people who are breaking the law?

I know the gathering Graham is referring to and wonder if the police would be more useful turning up at the cafe and chatting with them to get a very valid message across.

Its a similar situation to the cat and fiddle where police get in and among them.

Fraser I would hope that the riding ability of an advanced motorcycle police rider is very high but that doesn't really help the next mototcyclist around the bend who could be a 16 year old who doesnt know what diesel on a roads looks like or does to grip.

• Like 2

Personally I feel 'education' is far more beneficial than just a Penalty Notice

Dealing with 'macabre' sights is part of the emergency services role but they are human beings as well - just because they do that job does not make them immune to emotional trauma.

The time off was spent doing up a couple of motorbikes and selling them.......Ahhhhhhhhh !

Well, my mate has a senior position in a Fire Station.....wears a white helmet and waves his finger. Admits he does sweet fa .

Finds any excuse to have a sick day. Was even off with stress after seeing a motorist killed....surely that goes with the job....absolutely awful, but if soldiers had weeks off after seeing someone killed we'd have no one on the front line.

When they work they do a very good job and for that we are grateful, but most guys I know in the service , are in it for a cushy time.

Often doing two jobs and running it from their place of work.....YES...I have been called several times about AstroTurf by a fireman on duty. If the service doesn't pay a good enough wage then change careers....not take opportunities from others.

Sorry if all this p..... You off and you and your watch may be the exception, but this is my view.....only MY view.

??...from your account, your mate seems pretty smug if he's openly sharing the fact that he's a useless, lazy nunney whilst at work (your view in a nutshell) .. how embarrassing however, this is one of the issues that many other brigades struggle against - those brigades that allow these timewasters to go unchallenged! It's probably no wonder that you have such a disdain for the service .. or certainly those that work in it.

EDIT: @Graham, you and I have never had cross words before and I don't intend to have any now on a hobby forum which I come to, to enjoy. Let's agree to disagree, mate.

Re your original post, it is sometimes beggars belief how resources are deployed and I certainly don't always agree with it either. It's usually the troops on the ground that 'get the kicking' for policy decisions, I'm afraid :-/

Only my view but if I had a mate like yours Graham he would no longer be a mate of mine. I don't know what you did whilst working but I have three friends who are emergency responders and it isn't a walk in the park.

If the road was so dangerous I would have stopped to alert other motorists, would this not have been the most pertinent course of action, rather than to whine about it and blame others?

I'm also a biker of 25 years and no I don't have the little illegal plate.

• Like 2

I don't agree with everything Graham has said but I will say this about diesel.

All this about riding the conditions and you must be prepared is total bull when it comes to diesel. I'm an ex rider due to diesel. The road was a bit damp but I have riden a lot in the wet. It was my daily commute and I knew the road well. I was following a couple of cars below 40 in a 40 limit. The car in front of the one I was following braked a bit sharpish to turn right so I applied my brake like I would any other time. Next thing I know I'm off the bike with shattered collar bone punctured lung and a set of broken ribs. That was the end of my biking. The front wheel literally dusappeared from underneith me and i was driven into the ground. To this day my father and I are convinced I hit a patch of diesel. Could it be foreseen not unless I can see through cars. I have has diesel on my wheels before and I can tell you it is terrifying you literally have no grip at all until it's worn off. I was unlucky.

We are told to report diesel spills to the police and the council. I have done in the past and have seen nothing being done. I can understand Grahams frustration in telling the police and them not putting out a sign whilst the council gets it clean.

However I think it cannot be understated how dangerous diesel is to bikers.

I don't agree with things said about the fire department as I believe they do a fantastic job.

• Like 1

Graham, I also am a firefighter

I work hard to maintain my firefighting and technical rescue unit skills up to scratch.

I also work hard to maintain my fitness.

I would not go off with stress after a fatality unless it was truly awful and I find your mates abuse of the system disgusting but these people are in all trades.

I am forced into strike action by a government that wont even come to the table.

I am professional, I would still put your house fire out or cut you out your car no matter your opinion - why do you insult the people who you or someone you care about may rely 100% on one day?

I agree with you re: that road and Police approach but you could also be proactive - ring the local Fire station who should lay sand down.

Rant over... Peet

• Like 1