Accommodation & ideas for short break in the Peak District

Mark (smokey mow)

Next month we're looking to head for to the Peak District for around 5 days just for a short break. In the past I've normally travelled there with a big group of friends, camped then spent the time walking and rock climbing but this time as they'll only be the two of us i'll need to find somewhere with a proper roof, and a few more creature comforts than a tent. Good pub grub is also a must :)

I know the High Peak area well and have camped around Hope and Castleton several times in the past so possibly I'll be heading back to a similar area. But I'm now looking for a few recommendations for hotels, B&B's and must do's on the tourist trail.

On the list of things to do currently is Chatsworth House and if I get my way :oops: a walk up Mam Tor and along the ridge to Hollins Cross. I'm sure they'll be a cavern too but with so many to choose from which one do we go for ?

Any suggestions of places to stay and things to do would be welcomed :)

TIA

Blue John or Speedwell cavern are both fine, speedwell is a boat ride underground which is a bit different, also from near speedwell you are virtually on Mam Tor for the start of your ridge walk. Peveral castle above Castleton is worth a climb if you like ruins. Nearby in Hathersage is Little Johns grave.

I'm sure there will be plenty more suggestions along soon but that's my starter :t-up:

I found I kept getting stung for parking around Castleton, but guess that's pretty inevitable.

Peak rail from Rowsley to Matlock is good value and was enjoyed by family, too...

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas Paul :t-up:

Mike, searching for parking is one of my pet hates also hence my thinking of finding a hotel in or near to where I want to be visiting. That way I can leave the car in the hotel car park for the week and walk everywhere we want to go. :)

Please keep the ideas coming :)

Matlock Bath is only short drive, really steep walk up to the hunting tower up the heights of Abraham, (or ride the cable car). A little further past Matlock is Crich, tram museum is there.  Bakewell, pick yourself up a tart, (sorry couldn't resist), and they have a market there weekly, maybe grab a bargain or a cow? Blue John cavern in Castleton is the deepest cave but you need to have reasonable fitness as there's alot of steps.