Driving alone or as part of a group?

Rory's Dad

Quite interesting thread on Blatchat although some don't seem to understand the purpose and impact of driving as fast as the person behind you.

What do you think??

Looks like a typical blatchat bit of over analysis to me. Get out, have fun, keep the car behind in sight. Simples.

I can relate to that.  Have been in the past on lots of organised drives and inevitably I always ended up doing stuff that I would normally not be comfortable with.  Doesn't mean I don't like an organised drive at all, but I do pick them very carefully.

I can see where they're coming from and at the rear usually you're trying to make ground continuously, but I have to confess I prefer being on the back or alternatively on the front.

I like drives out with others. I still do my thing though. I've never been one for peer pressure. I'm lucky that my local Westfield owning mates (Dom, Stuart and Dave) are sensible also. We all do track days to get it out of our system.

• Like 1

My car is now totally unsuited to driving on the public highway, not least because it has a fuel tank which holds less than 2 gallons/9 litres, so about 35 miles if you go very gently!

However, when it was nearer "standard" I and Mrs H really enjoyed blatting with a group. We did however have a very good rule: If you loose sight of the car behind you, then stop at the next junction, and wait until you can see it. If everybody in the group (except the last!) follows that rule, then it matters not how quickly you/your car want to go, you go as fast as you like (and no faster), and you still all end up at the same place, together. :t-up:  :t-up:

Oh, and the person at the back should ideally have a mobile 'phone and be mechanically reasonably knowledgable, so if anyone has a problem there is someone to (a) help out, and (b) contact the route master.

yeah..... id probably get banned if i were honest about that post.....

let just say the thats a really really really interesting post started by someone who im sure is very intersting.....

play this from about 2mins 20

Never watched Blackadder and don't want to now.....

Back to O/T

I'm guessing most members buy 7s for fun.

Does it matter if you go out in a group or on you own.....

Personally I like to go in a group, as I do on a motorbike....even a 70 year old one!

If you get your fun on the road , racing your mate in his car or a stranger on a sports bike,that's up to you.

If you want to plod along at 50, then that's upto you as well.

Racing on the road is illegal and so should be driving a Rover or towing a caravan (yes I have one !.....caravan that is )

For Christs sake....it's about FUN.

Get out, get your tyres nice and hot and enjoy your car. And don't forget...speed doesn't kill, but my wife tells me moaning can !

That is why TYRE and sat nav is the perfect solution, you can plan a route that is far more complicated than driving by memory. If everyone has the route then you all do more or less the same route and can happily drop back or catch up with other members rather than follow the leader.

nearly fell asleep reading the first post  :laugh:

• Like 1

We did however have a very good rule: If you loose sight of the car behind you, then stop at the next junction, and wait until you can see it. If everybody in the group (except the last!) follows that rule, then it matters not how quickly you/your car want to go, you go as fast as you like (and no faster), and you still all end up at the same place, together. :t-up:  :t-up:

Oh, and the person at the back should ideally have a mobile 'phone and be mechanically reasonably knowledgable, so if anyone has a problem there is someone to (a) help out, and (b) contact the route master.

Only to add that the backmarker should also have knowledge of the route and as Pete mentioned a satnav with uploaded Tyre route. Otherwise this works really well. In a smaller group, it's easy to stop at the next most convinient place, in a larger group as said if you loose sight, slow down or wait, the person in front of you will be doing the same and this will enventually domino up to the leader.

Funnily enough we don't have much trouble keeping a convoy together.  We had up to 13 on the southern leg of the Yorkshire 8 and didn't lose anyone.  Right turns onto a main road need care and we usually put a distinctive Westy on the back (eg a white one) so I can see it.  The key is for the leader to go at a reasonable speed but no more IMO.

The point was really to explore people's prefrences about being the lone ranger or part of a convoy.

The point was really to explore people's prefrences about being the lone ranger or part of a convoy.

Convoy when in a group :cool: