Help me improve my laptimes....

Fordboi

* Not all the events we go to offer free tuition, Blyton with the club and the days I organise with Trackaction-Online are pretty much the only ones that don't charge now (it's still worth the money when you do have to pay though).

Well I took on board all the advice in this thread and as a result yesterday was fantastic! I really sharpened my lines up, braked later, carried more speed into and out of the corners and got the tyres really screaming. By the end of play I was putting in 57 second laps consistently. Not bad for a mighty XFlow! I'm really chuffed with this and how the car performed. Even with the old tyres on which I didn't have time to change.

The car feels so neutral and predictable on the edge, even when starting to slide slightly towards the exit of Gerrards at about 90mph! I can really understand why people rave about these cars now.

I'm going to swap the tyres next and look into ways of reducing the slight understeer on turn in. Im wondering if the anti roll bar is a bit too stiff perhaps...

If you think it's handling well now.....change to 888s and add half a degree of negative camber.....

Well it worked or me :)

Mighty crossflows rule.....ish 'till I fit the Zetec !

Glad you're enjoying.

Well I took on board all the advice in this thread and as a result yesterday was fantastic! I really sharpened my lines up, braked later, carried more speed into and out of the corners and got the tyres really screaming. By the end of play I was putting in 57 second laps consistently. Not bad for a mighty XFlow! I'm really chuffed with this and how the car performed. Even with the old tyres on which I didn't have time to change.

The car feels so neutral and predictable on the edge, even when starting to slide slightly towards the exit of Gerrards at about 90mph! I can really understand why people rave about these cars now.

I'm going to swap the tyres next and look into ways of reducing the slight understeer on turn in. Im wondering if the anti roll bar is a bit too stiff perhaps...

Excellent.

I'm no expert, but FWIW IMO..

I've had a tuition session and it made a big difference.

The Instructor and others told me not to rush onto grippy tyres. It may get you better times but it won't help initially with developing your car control and understanding of cornering and lines. 

As far as the understeer on turn in, trail braking would help push weight onto the front tyres helping them dig in. If you change the set up to dial this out it may effect other parts of the corners where you've said that it's neutral and predictable.

If you set the front ARB to be softer it would help dial the understeer out but increase the oversteer liability.

At the end of the day though it's your fun so have a play with settings, you can put them back if it doesn't work out, and enjoy.

• Like 1

I've got the negative camber, just need the 888s now! Going to cost me a few quid though. I might try disconnecting the arb for a few laps next time, just to feel the effect. Perhaps altering the front shocks slightly may also reduce understeer.

On a side note, does anyone else feel wind resistance really getting the better of them after 100mph? My mates clio was still accelerating at this point and I felt as though id hit a brick wall. 5th gear is pointless, I couldn't get into it. I barely changed out of 4th for the whole lap to be honest apart from coming away from the hairpin.

The Instructor and others told me not to rush onto grippy tyres. It may get you better times but it won't help initially with developing your car control and understanding of cornering and lines. 

David is so correct with this advice!

On a trackday setting laptimes really isn't important - the day is there for enjoyment; you certainly won't win any prizes or get spotted by anyone doing fast laps!

The 'grippier' tyres get, the less warning you will have of them 'breaking away' - this is all to do with the tyre performace curve.

Tyres with less ultimate grip will have a much more predictable nature and may well let you enjoy the 'balance' of the car more than dedicated track day rubber.

More grip will give you a bigger adrenalin rush but less grip may give you more smiles!

Last year when we were testing tyres for the BRSCC Championship the tyre suppliers couldn't understand why we wouldn't want to go for the stickiest, fastest tyre - we explained to them that the racing was far more enjoyable from a driver and a spectator standpoint on budget rubber. An MX5 hasn't got enough power for track day boots so we picked the cheap budget tyres ( Hancook Ventus V12) to race on which sorts out the good from the bad drivers.

HTH

Did you get any instruction?

I tried but the chap was fully booked on the day. On my next trackday I will pre-book the tuition. I did however have a bit of an informal chat with him over lunch where he explained a couple of the corners and gave me some advice. Oulton Park next!

Oulton is mega, lots more to learn than at Mallory so you should have fun.

If you feel you're driving a brick at high speeds ,fit an aeroscreen. I really feel that changing mine made a big difference .....

There's no substitute for cubic capacity and our little old crossflows need all the help we can give them.

Enjoy Oulton.......

I'll agree with Graham,   it's the windscreen hold the car back at speed.

FB, Video looks great mate - there still a bit more tarmac to use if I was being hyper critical but your lines and control hence pace looks much improved.  

I went from screen to aero screen this year and my car feels quicker - another mighty cross flow.  I also fitted new cables to throttle and that helped greatly as well.  

You should come and do the Speed Series mate - you'd love it  :d  :yes:

Thanks mate. I know I still have much to learn. The Mighty Xflow is still much more capable than me after just two track outings. Slightly disappointed that it isn't much quicker than my mates clio though. Even accelerating away from slow corners, the two cars are almost identical. Odd considering the big difference in bhp per ton. Ah well, all about having fun!

Id love to take part in the speed series. Maybe next year I'll enter and see how I get on!