How can I get my son driving the Westie ?

Northwarks

OK I may already know the answer but I want to pick your brains ...

So I got the Westie for both my son and myself to enjoy and to teach him how to look after a car you can actually get to grips with, he's yet to drive it sadly, last year he was working towards his test so there was no way we could get insurance (I didn't even ask to be honest ....).

I've just renewed the insurance this year, he passed his test 7 months or so ago and they wouldnt add him to the policy ... which is a shame, I was prepared to pay a 'reasonable premium' but they refused, I know the reasons ...  he's been typecast as a typical 18yr old. So where can I get him behind the wheel  - legally - I'm thinking a track day but he doesn't drive quick enough for a track day without been a moving chicane and would I face the same problem with track day insurance?

Anyone got any thoughts or has he just got to wait until he's >21?                                                     

Insurance wise, you'll be out of luck. I tried to get the ex insured on it (18y/o) with no luck at all. Everywhere said 'tough; 21 minimum' Best I could suggest would be some private roads/car parks.

+1 for the curborough day - my son drove my sprint car and he loved it there - very safe and really great track :-)

Could he get 'Drive another car' on his current policy without being stung too much? or is that 21+ only again?

Tracks also offer 'taster days', like at Silverstone for novice only £30ish? for 30 min sessions, on their website somewhere. took the SWMBO to do a few sessions their last year to give her a starter into track driving.

Or MSE Track days are very well run, and airfield gives plenty of run off / nothing to hit scenario. Start with you giving him the basics till he gets a bit quicker then get tuition maybe?

I'm in the same boat, to some extent, although only want my lad to drive the car on track days, with me as a passenger. I wouldn't want him to use it on the road and he would be uninsurable anyway.

I'm with A Plan and don't have specific track day insurance myself, as many don't, so you take your chances!

With that in mind, would my son still need to be a named driver on my policy for track use only? 

I was at Castle Combe yesterday and a few owners were jumping out of the drivers seat and letting others have a play.

Thanks.

Total :yes: for Curborough - we once booked it for a whole day to run our Jedi's - never had so much fun and a great learning experience away from prying eyes. You used to be able to book Santa Pod for "private" days but since the F1 boys started using it, the prices suddenly shot up :(

Sometimes the only way to "test the limit" is to find some deserted tarmac and then chuck the car around until you find the break away points - doesn't always need to be fast and certainly not dangerous if you're on your own (well, with someone you know) and no pressure of red flags or holding up everyone else - I wouldn't recommend supermarket car parks though as it's rather frowned upon these days !! :p

You could try the Shakespeare County Raceway (drag strip at Long Marston) to see what they could offer. http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/     

Could he get 'Drive another car' on his current policy without being stung too much? or is that 21+ only again?

Almost always 25+ nowadays for insurance on other cars.

I'm in the same boat, to some extent, although only want my lad to drive the car on track days, with me as a passenger. I wouldn't want him to use it on the road and he would be uninsurable anyway.

I'm with A Plan and don't have specific track day insurance myself, as many don't, so you take your chances!

With that in mind, would my son still need to be a named driver on my policy for track use only? 

No, as your normal road insurance is irrelevant and not being used on track anyway, so he has the same level of insurance as you would driving on track - none.

I think like others have said, a Curborough type event is perfect, I've done North Weald before and that is a similar type of thing. A to B, one car at once, relaxed and fun.

I like the sound of  Curborough ... didn't even know it existed  :down: - I must explore a day there, exactly what I'm after and I know he'd be comfortable knowing he can make a mess of things and not worry about upsetting the rest of the field  :rolleyes:

That Said I have seen some cars smash it at curbourough - dotn forget driving fast anywhere has it's risks :-)

My Son has driven my Westfield a few times, again the first time was at Curborough and he soon got to grips with it. In fact the first time he drove a car by himself after passing his test was on a Westfield inexpense day, where he came 3rd beating a number of other drivers (who mostly drove powerful rear wheel drive cars)

He has also driven it at the Blyton Westfield day and had some tuition. 

To get him used to driving fast on a track you could take him Karting. great fun anyway and you could see how he managed in a fast situation with different speed and competence drivers.

Took both daughters to Curborough, they loved it

Also consider getting an 'MSA, licence and booking on a Test day , often very quiet midweek, we were one of only three cars at LLandow

Pretty much as mentioned above,

my lad did his first trackday a month ago he has just turned 18, the first session out was steady but he soon got to grips with it and was quicker than a lot out there by the end of the day.

It was an airfield trackday at Elvington so plenty of run off if he got it wrong, which he did once....

weather depending will be doing another one there next weekend...

To get him used to driving fast on a track you could take him Karting. great fun anyway and you could see how he managed in a fast situation with different speed and competence drivers.

Yeah he's been karting a few times ... he's fine/quick at that, he kinda bucks the trend for an 18yr old behind the wheel of a car tho' ... very steady and considerate  ;)

As its been mentioned above its >21 for an additional car even on third party terms on his own policy, even any form of temp or short term policy is >21

I'm definatly going to get him on a day at Curborough, I assume for the £70 you get a few runs each ?  

My son was keen for me to get trackday insurance.  I didn't.  Why he asked,  To help you drive my Westy more carefully I replied.

• Like 4