cheap cars

dombanks

so anyone who knows me may know i have a special place of hatred for swmbos car. the little lean green death machine pug 106. if all the joy was removed from the world and replaced with despair and self loathing this car would be at the forefront of the driving nirvana.

anyway surprisingly its failed its mot on the exhaust, brakes, and emissions. its got advisories for a few things which the guy at the garage couldnt remember of the top of his head (he didnt do the mot) but was something to do with shocks and ball joints...

the brakes he thinks is just the the rear cylinders so he will replace both and the shoes, the emissions he said just run some stuff though and hope for the best (his technical words not mine) and the exhaust "looks ok but is blowing so probably needs dicking about with"

all in and for the mot is £200. swmbo isnt convinced and wonders if it is worth throwing 200 quid at a car that only cost 450 in the first place? i think she should either get it fixed and get rid. or just carry on with it as she refuses to spend decent cash on a car so will probably end up with another shonky crap box anyway.

apart from the **** brakes, shonkey steering, wallowy ride, lack of any kind of performance (you could get mugged by a snail), minimal safety, sterio that only tunes to juice FM its a car. she only uses it to drive 2 miles to work and the shops etc and the occasional long journey. on the other hand if we go anywhere we have to use this instead of the bmw as the seats hurt her wonkey hip (apparently)

so any opinions? anyone got a cheapo decent runaround they are thinking to get rid of? frankly she doesnt care a hoot about the car so long as the heater works.

frankly she doesnt care a hoot about the car so long as the heater works.

I once look over my wife's shoulder when she was looking for a car on Auto Trader

In the search she had put

silver !!!!!!

• Like 1

Get an old Toyota Yaris......2002

Got one for the school run as my wife doesn't like the Porsche & doesn't want parking dents on the BMW?

Old but, one owner,service history and original paintwork.....and 4 door.

Great little car and up to 60 mpg......we both love it...........2 years now and NO issues whatsoever.

Cheap road tax ,insurance and only £2000.

Makes a lot of sense.........FREE MOTORING !

Get a mk1 focus

Cheap as chips and still drive great even by todays standards

Parts are dirt cheap,as is insurance

Comfy,roomy and never a problem selling it on

I got a high millage E36 compact last time, slightly random choice and having spend £650 on it then cost me £550 at the first mot for just about everything with rubber in it, I think it had maybe had a slightly bent mot last time and maybe a fairly harsh one this time. Spent it, as while it hurts, without a mot its worth about £100 and its needed a car and it wasnt a bad one.

But that aside, its been a good runner, nice seats...

I think if you maybe forked out £1200 on a E46 you could get a nice car for not much.

Failing that, while they are getting on, I have a V and W reg 306 merdian petrol and had no real issue with either.

Daniel

Puma. Best fun for under 1k. Only common problem is rusty rear arches, but no big deal. I have a fairly tidy 1.7 Thunder with leather and AC that I'm about to sell...

Ooh yeah

Forgot about pumas

My sisters got one - great fun

so she's decided the 500 quid pug is not worth fixing. i think for 180 quid she should fix it get the mot on it and then flog it on. but no she's abandoned it at the garage and will get some scrap guy to pick it up and is now using the bus so a journey that is ~3 miles as the crow flies takes her 45  mins as the buses are rubish. not to mention the fact that she wont get in mine to go anywhere. getting to the shops etc is going to be a nightmare as ill have to go all the time on my own.

i thought old yaris but wonder how reliable a 1k one would be with all the electric gizmos. doesnt like fords as they are too big?

she is a PITA with cars, we had a ride in a brand new 320d msport at the weekend.... "it hurts my hip" wsa the conclusion. the z seats hurt her hip, mates clio is the same, i would guess my old focus would be the same as the seats were more curvey than the Z'ds basically every car under the sun with any shape to the seat is going to hurt her hip from the looks of it. i was thinking that as a compromise i would swap my z for a 635d but it looks like she wont sit in that so im going to stay with the soft top i like not a coupe which i wont so much.

and then we have the price point. she might stretch to 1k but  probably not. all i can see is we are going to end up with another s***hole car that wil cost too much to fix. she doesnt seem to get that we dont live in london where there is decent public infratructure.

bl**dy women ....

Sounds like you need a swmbo upgrade

Does she not take any advice about cars from you? 

The way it works in SootySport towers is--------anyone in the family tells me their budget,  what type of car they like,  I go and find a two or three candidates, they drive them and decide which car is comfortable for them, if both of us are happy they can  haggle the price or I will do it for them.

Everybody happy :)

Fixed value = £400-500?  Cost to fix  = £180

- Shes not going to get £220-320 off a scrap man is she!

Seems odd to spend such a lot on car thats fairly low value, but they are worth so little without mot fixing it it normally the way forward even if you then just list in on ebay the next day.

Fix it, and get her an appointment for the hip.

Daniel

Be lucky to get £100 these days on a tiny car, ferrous has  dropped in value somewhat.

Exactly.

Last time I weight in a car, having removed the seats, radio, rear light clusters, one unbent alloy, and few other bits to sell on, I was offered £50.

Daniel