Think of building a Mazda SDV - for £6kish possible?

super11

Hallo everyone,

So, I would like a bit of a reality check on my plan to build a Westfield SDV car.

Having read many many build logs I can see its usual for build costs to spiral as upgradeitis takes it course! 

However I would like to try and build one for about £6k excluding registration and IVA costs and the cost for a 1.6 mx5 - is this likely to be even possible?

I would like to retain as much as possible from the MX5, including engine (obviously!), transmission,  dash instrument cluster etc etc

Then buy Second hand - Wheels (maybe with tyres) and what ever else I can on here, ebay and kit car suppliers. 

So from Westfield I would buy the starter kit, some of the extra for the completion kit - engine mounts etc etc!. 

Is this a good plan and who has done it?

Cheers

ps: thanks to all who have documented their builds its great to see exactly what's involved

Firstly, welcome  :)

My opinion is that your budget is too tight.

As well a donor vehicle and starter kit, there are some other large ticket items, the main one being the bodywork.

I cant get on the Factory website at present to check the content of the starter kit, and I cannot remember exactly what is included.

My gut feeling is you are at least a couple of grand light with your budget, and even then that would be extremely tight and you would need some lucky finds/bargains. Then you still have to add on the donor/IVA/Registration/VED/Insurance, which will be in the region of £1200 - £1500

Hope that helps

That was around my original budget for an SDV (Sierra for me) - but even buying used parts, all the little bits soon add up!

Also, I keep on getting bits that are "only a little bit more expensive but sooo much nicer" (yes, premature upgraditis) and that has now blown my original £6k ish out the window.

But I really don't care, as I can do this over time and not count the pennies so hard while doing it.

Gary, starter kits include bodywork, but as we all know, there's a lot more to it all than the chassis, engine and body!

SDV standard kit:

Items included in the STANDARD STARTER kit

1 SPACE FRAME CHASSIS SPARE WHEEL CARRIER

2/3TOP AND BOTTOM FRONT WISHBONES

4  ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKETS

5  PEDAL BOX INC. MASTER CYLINDER / FLOOR MOUNTED

6  BRAKELINES, AEROQUIP & TEE PIECE

7  ALUMINIUM PANEL SET INC. FLOORPLAN, SEAT-BACK,

TUNNEL, SCUTTLE,NUTS, BOLTS, RIVETS, SUSPENSION

BUSHES & CHASSIS PLATE

8  WING BRACKETS

REAR UPRIGHTS – SIERRA ONLY

HANDBRAKE CABLE

9  BOTTOM REAR WISHBONES

10  TOP REAR WISHBONES

11  BODY KIT

REAR BODY SECTION
SCUTTLE, BONNET, NOSE, SCREEN FILLET, WINGS, BOOT BOX, BADGES

Please note: On purchasing a Westfield SDV you will need to provide your front uprights and lower steering column for modification by Westfield (Pinto) and lower column for Mazda. 

On top of that - most generally pay for Powder Coating (+£300), Detachable Arches (+£250) and Exterior panels (+£41)

Hope this helps!

i recently ordered my starter kit and i ordered the optins kingster has listed above including my mazda donor and already spent 2/3rds of your budget. as kingster says im buying my bits as i go along so costs arent really in my mind as long as i keep my job ill save up for the big ticket items.

dont forget fuel lines which arent much to buy but even small things like this soon add up

Thanks Kingster

To add to that there will be:-

Aeroscreen or Windscreen/Wipers/Motor

Seats

Master cylinders

Fuel lines

Fuel tank

Shocks and Springs

Radiator/expansion tank/plumbing

Headlights

Indicators

Rear lights

Roll bar

Fixings, clips, etc

etc etc 

I still think £6k is too tight

...and don't forget tools!

You don't have to buy these, but I now have an engine hoist (already used it 3x for items other than the actual engine for the Westie!) and a compressor with air tools.

Then there's all the little bits, like oil, filters, switches, mirrors, pads - I could go on.

BUT, don't be put off - I'm really excited to be at the start of my journey and, as I (and others) said, you can do it over time and drip feed the funds. 

The cheaper alternative is to buy a complete car and then tinker with it - but I am very happy to spend a bit more and build my own just the way I want it (within reason anyway!)

see i already have most of the tools i have purchased a few bits for my garage like a 1.5ton block and tackle and a 2 ton beam trolley and an rsj to put it all on but all in all cost me 100 quid. but it is very exciting to get things going

When I looked at costs the only way in I could find was to buy a well built xflow powered road legal car for £5k

The only bits I've not had apart are the steering rack and front wishbones YET ;)

So I know I didn't have the satisfaction of building it but I've had hours of fun driving in the summer and stripping and rebuilding in the winter

Second hand xflow engine and bits I removed went a long way to my zetec ST170 upgrade too

Just another option for you if budgets tight ;)

And you feel the need for speed and a bit of tinkering in the off season

Dont forget you can sell a lot of the donor vehicle - hood, seats, wings etc.

Smoket mow used the donor wheel, if you are prepared to compromise then lots of things are possible. But yoy really have to watch the smaller items or not count them - doing an engine conversion i spent £100 on non fancy rubber coolant hoses!

Good luck.

• Like 1

I am currently building a Mazda SDV on a sort of budget. I bought the starter kit when there was 1k off in Jan. I added the detachable arches, powder coating and exterior panels.

I didn't go for the completion pack, I instead have been trolling ebay, piston heads etc on a daily basis looking for bargains. Some of the parts I have had to buy from Westfield such as fuel pipes, shock absorbers etc.

I have had a quick tot up and I have currently have pretty much everything in the completion pack, a hood/doors/boot cover etc and I have spent roughly 5500-6000 including the donor car and the starter pack. 

Your budget is achievable if you get some amazing bargains but I would add at least another 1000 to it an then the money for IVA etc.

Thanks very much for all the replies - I had expected it would be tough to get everything for that kind of figure - been looking at components and it certainly all adds up.  Its encouraging to see that it is possible and will just require a little more cash - I will build over time so there will be time to acquire the bits I need.

Prawnable - great to know it is possible for not too much more cash!  seen your build thread - nice work!

Right onto the search for a good 1.6 mx5!

Hi,

Im afraid my build thread stalled a few months ago! I have the car on the floor and am about to put the engine in next week! I keep meaning to update it but Im afraid it would take me hours to get it up to speed!

The build manual for the MX5 SDV is online and is a good read coupled with with the latest FW manual or the older SDV manual.

• Like 1

There is nothing as good as building your own car (well in the garage anyway!).  The sense of achievement doing it on such a tight budget will be magical and better in so many ways than shelling out c£15k for a full kit.

Good lock.

I know I'm miles away, but if you do visit the factory and want to see a car in mid build, you are more than welcome to come a have a look- My house is on the way to westfield from you! 

Shaun