Just how bad is it without a heater

BudSlater

Never had a heater, and shortly after removed the roof. Although I have retained the screen and use the side door when on the road.

I do about 3k road miles, and autotests march to oct, and its ok. Sometimes if its hammering down and cold its proper grim, but its not great with a roof and heater I done expect. You will mist up with a screen+roof and no heater, but you probably did anyway. With an aeroscreen I wouldn't question it.

Legs are sheltered and keep warm from the engine, with a good coat, I have gone 45mins to a meet in the snow....

Daniel

A resounding 'ditch-it!' Then. I'll add it to the list of jobs. Cheers folks :-)

Just a last point... I thought about putting a sliding flap in the front bulkhead- just few inches square easy to pen with a short cable. That would let a lot of heat into the cockpit and weigh nothing - might have to be careful about leaky exhuasts but...

screen and no heater for me. only issues ive had was when it was wet i got water down the inside of the screen and in late evenings when it chills down a bit a teeny bit of condensation which went away with motion (and a handy cloth)

The actual Westfield heater itself is very efficient. It's just let down in three areas:

1. The fan is hopeless, it's just a pressed aluminium axial fan and simply can't move enough air. You really need a proper "squirrel cage" style radial fan to pump the right amount of air through. Makes a vast difference.
  2. Air source. (obviously, this is only key when the roof's up!) It just recirculates cabin air, now fair enough, the cabin isn't exactly air tight, but in wet weather with damp clothes, it's just recirculating moist air, no wonder it steams the screen up; your tin top would in the same circumstances!
  3. Temperature control. There ain't any! It's permanently dumping full engine heat into the heater matrix. It needs at least an adjustable valve, even if you just fit one that can be opened or closed from under the bonnet. (I've got a remote adjustable version fitted, and even with snow on the ground, hood up, i cannot open the valve beyond half way, it's just too hot.

With work, it can be made to work really well.

The actual Westfield heater itself is very efficient. It's just let down in three areas:

• The fan is hopeless, it's just a pressed aluminium axial fan and simply can't move enough air. You really need a proper "squirrel cage" style radial fan to pump the right amount of air through. Makes a vast difference.
  • Air source. (obviously, this is only key when the roof's up!) It just recirculates cabin air, now fair enough, the cabin isn't exactly air tight, but in wet weather with damp clothes, it's just recirculating moist air, no wonder it steams the screen up; your tin top would in the same circumstances!
  • Temperature control. There ain't any! It's permanently dumping full engine heat into the heater matrix. It needs at least an adjustable valve, even if you just fit one that can be opened or closed from under the bonnet. (I've got a remote adjustable version fitted, and even with snow on the ground, hood up, i cannot open the valve beyond half way, it's just too hot.
With work, it can be made to work really well.
Dave what fan unit have you used? I was looking at doing the same thing and ducting air from outside into the fan

I used one of the 400m3/hour blowers from T7 Design, clicky

I removed the fan and front mounts from the WF heaters case. Blanked over where the fan had been and mounted the heater directly on to the inside of the scuttle. (Double sided foam tape helped seal it). The blower was then mounted in the engine bay, blowing back through a rectangular hole cut in the scuttle,straight into the heater.

On full speed it would clear (demist) the screen in seconds. It was also, with the top down and sidescreens on, more than capable of keeping a pool of warm air at foot/lower leg level at most road legal speeds in cold weather. Perfect for old Gits like me, who after an hour or AO's winter blatting find themselves loosing sensation in their feet!

I also had a dash vent that I could aim straight at myself, again, windscreen on, side screens on, but no roof, that would only loose the battle at 35/40 mph. Below that, you'd feel the hot air flow.

its proving slightly more awkward to lay out in the Honda car; I'll have to sacrifice some blower efficiency by separating it from the heater and ducting air between the two. I'm just contemplating fitting the bigger blower to make up for it.