You know you own a kit car when....

cszjrh

getting an MOT involves you being handed a toolbox and getting your hands dirty.

Car died on the rolling road but was brought back to life with a quick tap on the fuel pump :rolleyes:   Replacement ordered. 

Passed with no advisories.  Happy days!!  :yes: :yes: :yes::d :d :d:yes: :yes: :yes:

• Like 1

Oh yes.  Looks like it's been under there since Adam was a lad though so I've gone for a like for like replacement. 

(I know there's an alternative make you guys are preferring but after 3 months getting back on the road I can't be faffed fabricating anything else at the moment)

North Weald a week on Friday!!!!!! :d

Or when the MOT tester can't get in your little car to test the brakes ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1

Last years MOT I dropped the Westie off and their tester was about 25-stone. He asked how the hell he is supposed to get in and out of it. I did think that vaseline and a tyre iron would come in handy but luckily the young apprentice volunteered to drive it into the MOT bay for him. 

The daily driver just passed her MOT for another year, 220k miles on a BMW 320d with advisories on rear tyre tread, I'll take that any day. There's life in the old girl yet, only another 18,000 miles and she has officially been to the moon.

Glad it's all sorted after your marathon rebuild.    See you at North Weald, only cones to hit there.

• Like 1

Last years MOT I dropped the Westie off and their tester was about 25-stone. He asked how the hell he is supposed to get in and out of it. I did think that vaseline and a tyre iron would come in handy but luckily the young apprentice volunteered to drive it into the MOT bay for him. 

The daily driver just passed her MOT for another year, 220k miles on a BMW 320d with advisories on rear tyre tread, I'll take that any day. There's life in the old girl yet, only another 18,000 miles and she has officially been to the moon.

I have always sat in the drivers seat for westy MOT 's ,  always ask for a discount on the grounds that the garage owner / tester is saving an hours labour for the apprentice/wife mother in law , whoever he employs to press the buttons :t-up: Never ever get one though    :(

Or when the MOT tester can't get in your little car to test the brakes ;) ;) ;)

That happens to mine most years, and I have to supervise its driving on to the ramp to preserve the silencer from being ripped off. Then we have to decide what part of the chassis number will be allowed on the computer. Finally we have a chat while the time demanded by DoT to elapse - it takes much less time for a Q plate car to be tested than is allocated by the system, so issuing the certificate cannot be done before time.  :bangshead:

That happens to mine most years, and I have to supervise its driving on to the ramp to preserve the silencer from being ripped off. Then we have to decide what part of the chassis number will be allowed on the computer. Finally we have a chat while the time demanded by DoT to elapse - it takes much less time for a Q plate car to be tested than is allocated by the system, so issuing the certificate cannot be done before time.  :bangshead:

Classic MOT myth, there is no minimum time for a test :rolleyes: !!!!!!

Usually its an excuse to have a cup of tea instead of getting on with another job….. ???

Had mine done last week, tester turns out to have owned a Westfield previously so was versed in where to jack up, what can be tested and that brakes needed testing on the road, he even took his boots off to drive it around.

It was good to have a nosey underneath the car with him as well.  Owner of the garage has a track only Radical so he was interested in the car as well.

I asked specifically about the headlight aim as i knew it was low, but not how low compared to the MOT tolerance, so we set that up properly as well, and sods law kicked in as a sidelight was blown, even though it was ok the night before, he said he would pass it as long as i changed the bulb before sunset!

It even passed emissions at the 2nd time of asking, i asked how many goes it could have, he said as many as it takes to hit the spot where all parameters are "green".

Best hour i've spent for a long time!