Lest we forget....D-Day

alexander72

They gave their lives so we could have the things we have today. Without their courage the world would be a far worse place.

We should all give thanks to them today.

I went over last week with a friend to the D-day landings, his grand-father landed on Juno and my Uncle Bob was giving air cover on the day.

Visiting the  beaches, the various (excellent) museums and the cemeteries is such a humbling experience and you cannot help but feel so grateful to every one of the 150,000 who were involved in the operation.  Some pics from my trip...

DVE_1338_zps2d2e4608.jpg

A rusting, heavy and ponderous piece of German engineering - and a Tiger tank

DVE_1201_zps05c6dfc8.jpg

Gold Beach at Arromanche with remains of the Mulberry Harbour
DVE_1269_zps48d11770.jpg

A Horsa glider, used to deliver soldiers and towed by bombers

DVE_1389_zps7683f0a5.jpg

The (in)famous Pegasus Bridge
DVE_1384_zps31742c3d.jpg

Douglas C-47 aka Dakota, delivered the soldiers who attacked the Merville Battery
DVE_1369_zps2f88da4d.jpg

The don’t make ‘em like they used to
DVE_1343_zps29e6ac1f.jpg

A restored landing craft (this one was used in the movie Saving Private Ryan)
DVE_1333_zps0888f63c.jpg

The American Cemetery above Omaha Beach
DVE_1312_zps08e328dd.jpg

DVE_1324_zps8eccbbfd.jpg

R

As much as I've tried I've never managed to get my head around what they faced down on that day. Films like Savings Private Ryan are apparently pretty good accounts of the conditions and action but only give a hint of the psychology. I've seen the films loads of times but it really gets my heart going knowing it really happened.

My own grandparents had no involvement in the fighting due to either being young teenagers (my grandad did go Malaya after the war and contracted Malaria!), or running a big farm / working as an airraid warden.

Kudos to that man!

I've spent an afternoon in that part of France, ending up at the American Cemetrey. I think I need to go at least twice more to fully appreciate the scale of it all.

I watched the old paratrooper who did a tandem jump yesterday. He's 89 I seem to recall - maybe older - but I cannot begin to imagine how he felt as he sailed to earth on a parachute for the first time in many decades. The chaps who survive, and for every one there's so many who didn't, all seem much younger than their years. I would like to think we could still supply men (and women too) of such calibre if the need arose. I am glad to be reminded from time to time of just what courage and grit truly is. 

Quite right to have this thread. War was and is awful, the capacity of leaders to send men to their death is undiminised even now. The difference then was there was a good reason for the world to make a stand, to fight for freedom and principle not for oil or such other weak reasons.

Having been all around the area several times the scale of what was done was almost unimaginable. The bravery and skill of those who flew the gliders to capture Pegasus Bridge and the men who held them is awesome in the full meaning of the word. 

The seamen who landed the men and of course those who fought their way off the beach must never be forgotten and all the other unsung heros and heroines. Doctors, nurses, clergy all played a part in the savagery of that day, bringing peace and comfort to those who never made it back and help some to make it back to their loved ones.

What is sad for me the values that people laid down their lives for have long disappeared from many of the Jeremy Kyle types who have benefited from their sacrifice, many would turn in their graves to see the country that has developed. Selfless acts have been replaced by selfishness. Generous acts replaced by greed. Compassion replaced with hatred. 

A wise man said we forget our history at our peril as without learning we are doomed to make the same mistakes again. I hope we never have to witness such a day ever again.

• Like 1

having just spent 3 hours listening to the coverage of D-Day may I suggest if anyone needs reminding that the troops achieved that day its all on Radio 5 Live today.... great coverage,

Thankyou to every living and fallen veteran  :yes:

Well said James  :t-up:

I doubt very much we would all be enjoying messing about with our little cars without the sacrifice made on our behalf 70 years ago, Thanks Guys 

We owe them all , not just the D, day hero's . outstanding courage , Great to see and hear those who fought  there with there whole lives ahead of them , remembering those who didn't get the chance