Bird problems

Deanspoors

...and it's the feathery, twirpy kind. 

I've just come back to my house from being away for 5 weeks and have found that it has turned into some sort of birds horror movie. My drive is covered in bird excrement and it appears the birds have decided to roost in anything with a hole in it. e.g. my garage, a hole where a bath waste used to be and was previously blocked up (they have pecked out the foam that was placed in there) and most worryingly of all my small front extension. On the extension they have gained access from a small hole near the gutter and appear to be in the roof space, now I can't gain access to this roof space, only from outside and I already think there are several chicks in there. How on earth do I get them out. The noise they're making is unbearable. 

Regards, 
Dean

expanding foam the hole up ,simples ,they will die but its either that or put up with the noise

Call the RSPB?

Stick a cat through the hole in the extension?

• Like 1

How about a smoke bomb like used on moles then seal it up

Or

I'd go to my local agricultural shop and ask them

They will have something or know someone who can sort that out

i would ask the rspb, depending on what bird they are you may not be able to do anything until after they have nested.

As above if it's a song bird you should try and put up with them until the chicks are fully fledged . If it's a pigeon then let. The cull commence ;-)

Bats are also protected.

Well I'm some of going towards smoke bombs and expanding foam. I've seen a bird go into the hole about 5 times today already with worms hanging out of its mouth. I'm a little worried of I get the rspb in they'll tell me they're protected or something. My drive is more white than it is brick coloured :/

WIldlife and Countryside Act and EU Habitats Directive mean you cant disturb nesting birds until the young have fledged and the pair have moved on.  The fine for home owners is up to £5,000 per event.  Its why I tend to stop major works from now until september and concetrate on pressing cider :-) 

You should have a cordon around the nests and a 5m buffer around them (unworkable I know) so as not to disturb them.

Its an easy prosecution for the wildlife officers of the plod and the LA's around the UK as you only need one person to know they are there and then you move them on and they make a phone call.......

forgot to mention ALL nesting birds are afforded protection... even Pigeons 

What about Human's buffer zone when the birds are in the attic above your head

As for pigeons........vermin IMHO

I love most birds but wood pigeon poo just drives me mad

Theyre a pita

I hired a company to replace all my soffits and guttering who refused to start work because housemartins had built a mud nest under the apex

It "fell off" the following day

Pop the ear plugs in and they should be gone in about 3 weeks, then fill in the holes. Don't fill the holes with them in, they will try and get out anywhere and do more damage plus it's a tad cruel!

• Like 1