Engines that would fit in a narrow ?

Ian Bunker

I have a 1996 SE Narrow with a Pinto . Is the chassis to restrictive to take a twin cam? Which are narrower or more easily accommodated in a narrow - Ford or Vauxhall.  What about the gearbox fitting into the tunnel?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Ian B.

The tunnel is pretty restricted on a narrow. The type 9 gearbox on mine is a tight fit and you can't get any of the bell housing in it. This puts the engine quite far forward, which restricts things for high and wide engines. We also don't get a V8 bonnet option either. I've seen descriptions of various othe engines in a narrow, including Duratec and Vauxhall twin cams. By the time you reach the front of the bonnet there isn't much difference between a wide and narrow Westfield. Low line bodywork is more restrictive for alternative engines, but if you have a Pinto, then you have high line bodywork.

Jen

Providing you have highline bodywork, you should be able to squeeze most of the common 4 cylinder engine options in. A 2.0 duratec for example will give you plenty of power depending on your budget and will definitely fit.

I've fitted a Focus ST170 into a 1995 narrow with the VVT solenoid on top (just) ;) connected to a type 9 box

I've a done a blog on here about it which might answer a few questions for you

Also another blog someone's done on fitting a zetec in a narrow

Problem you will have is carbs and silencers are on opposite sides to a pinto so holes in bodywork

Duratec are the same sides as a pinto

Blade engine will fit with slight modification to bonnett :-) 

• Like 1

Blade engine will fit with slight modification to bonnett :-) 

In much the same way a Lambo V12 would fit with just a slight modification to the chassis! :p:d

You've got it Dave - I have both and I'm yet to decide which I prefer :-)

• Like 1

Use the Blade engine for the starter motor?

Hehehe I could Dave - 4age Toyota will fit mate

The big advantage with going sigma or duratec is that the exhaust and intake will be on the same sides as the existing holes.

Not if a duratec would fit, any done one in a narrow.

Duratec will fit with shallow sump and a hi-line bonnet :-) 

Zetec blacktop will fit including low line. I used a bonnet bulge and race line sump. If shaping from pinto though the exhaust is on the other side. I suspect the duratec will fit and exhaust is the same side.

Have a look at my blog on engine swap if it will help

Paul

Dimensionally the engine bay area of a narrow chassis isn't that dissimilar to a wide body. (Green is a wide, grey is the narrow)

The big advantage of the wide chassis with the MT75 tunnel is that it allows the engine and gearbox to be mounted much further back compared to the narrower type 9 tunnel.

chassisdifference.jpg